ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mask bleeding beyond boundaries

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Brueckner
Mask bleeding beyond boundaries
on Nov 25, 2012 at 8:19:23 pm

I'm working with a logo animation that I'm using Shatter to create a 3D look to some text, and masking portions so that they appear as I want them to. However, the masks on the layers with 'Shatter' applied have pieces that are showing even though my mask has them contained (and feather and expansion are both at zero). I've gone through shatter's settings to see if it was something there, but no setting has affected the areas that are bleeding at all. Any ideas on how to fix this bleeding?

For the record I'm not actually shatterizing anything, just using it to get the easy 3D effect, so there's no animation happening with shatter at all.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Mask bleeding beyond boundaries
on Nov 25, 2012 at 9:27:27 pm

Are you applying Shatter to the masked layer directly? Try pre composing the masked layer and then apply Shatter.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Alex Brueckner
on Nov 25, 2012 at 9:49:16 pm

I am, but pre-composing is a problem because of the say I'm using shatter. I'm using a solid layer with shatter applied, where shatter points to an image layer to define the "shape" setting. So pre-composing the solid is impossible, since I can't see the shape I'm defining. And masking on the image layer is being ignored by the shatter effect.

In the worst-case I can re-do this effect without using masks, but it will be a good chunk of work. I was just hoping there might be another workaround.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Nov 26, 2012 at 2:14:31 am

Alex

Precompose both the solid layer with shatter applied and the image layer that define the "shape" setting in one single comp and then apply mask on the precomposed layer.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Alex Brueckner
on Nov 26, 2012 at 8:35:38 pm

This worked beautifully! Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Nov 27, 2012 at 6:41:58 am

Glad I could help :)

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

David Vedon
on Jun 21, 2014 at 8:54:59 pm

Hello there, I think I have the same issue. I attached the an image showing how the mask boundaries are not on the line. Why does the mask do this? The Feather and Expansion are both set to zero and I Pre-Composed it as well. If you know the answer to this it would be AWESOME! Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]