ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mapping text around geometry?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Freddie HortonMapping text around geometry?
by on Nov 25, 2012 at 3:12:07 pm

Basically, I have a photograph of a person, and I want to add text that hugs the curves and shape of this persons body, as if it were being projected onto them. I do not have the know-how to do this in a 3D software package, so was hoping After Effects has a tool or set of tools that could help me mimic this effect? The text would be slowly moving across their body, so I can't just distort the text to fit one frame.

I am not aiming for perfection, just an effect that looks half decent haha.

Thank you! (:

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Mapping text around geometry?
by on Nov 25, 2012 at 4:24:30 pm

Freddie

1. Make a text layer by pressing T and type the desired text.
2. Now with the text layer selected press ' G ' to enable pen tool and creat a Mask around your actor.
3. Now twirl down the Text layer properties and select 1Mask in mask option.
4. Enable force alignment and now animate the text.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Mapping text around geometry?
by on Nov 25, 2012 at 4:29:52 pm

Have a look at this tutorial:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=udAkoVy_PYA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DudAkoVy_PYA

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Mapping text around geometry?
by on Nov 25, 2012 at 4:41:51 pm

There are a few ways of going about this, one way is use the Distort > Displacement Map effect. Create a higher contrast version of the picture in a precomp and bring that to your final composition. Now add the Displacement Map effect to your text and chose your precomp as the Displacment Map Layer.

I made and example project. I masked out the subject so that only when the text is projected against the subject does it displace. Doing it this way is the quick and dirty way of accomplishing this effect: 4998_displacementeffectfolder.zip

Another more exact method would be to actually create/paint a full on displacement map. Basically you paint a layer using full white for the areas closest to the camera and black for farther away, then use the displacement map effect push and pull your animation. There is some information about that in this tutorial: Displacement Mapping

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu used the depth map technique to produce commercial(though he doesn't use it to distort text, he uses it to make photos appear 3D): http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1010346#1010348

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Freddie HortonRe: Mapping text around geometry?
by on Nov 25, 2012 at 5:08:39 pm

Thank you both for the thorough answers!! I will try them out when I have a chance a bit later and let you know how it turns out, thanks again!

Return to posts index

Freddie HortonRe: Mapping text around geometry?
by on Nov 25, 2012 at 7:55:00 pm

John I have opened up your project file and seen what you have created, it is exactly the effect I wanted, and have replicated it for my scene and it looks great! It's also cool to know that if I wanted a more realistic look I could paint the depth myself pretty easily, so thanks again for the help :)

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Mapping text around geometry?
by on Nov 25, 2012 at 11:35:04 pm

Glad I could help.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]