ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

preview and memory questions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ben wolfinsohnpreview and memory questions
by on Nov 25, 2012 at 8:10:15 am

i have 14 gigs of ram dedicated to AE and running cs6 with four 3.1g cores and ssd drive. i go to preview 600 frames and it only makes it 150 in.

can't you save the preview frames to disk to get it to preview more frames?
and wouldn't 14 gigs be enough to preview the whole thing in ram?
am i missing something in my preferences?

and last, when hitting "." to get a audio preview i have to wait 30 sec. i tried changing the buffer speeds, but not much change. any thing else i can do there?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: preview and memory questions
by on Nov 25, 2012 at 2:08:30 pm

What size frames are we talking about- makes a big difference if they're SD or 4k...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

ben wolfinsohnRe: preview and memory questions
by on Nov 25, 2012 at 8:58:07 pm

yeah. about 4k. and everything in the project is coming off 6 photoshop files that are about 150megs each and 5 to 50 layers on each.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: preview and memory questions
by on Nov 25, 2012 at 9:35:25 pm

That makes sense- 4k takes a lot of RAM to preview and for AE 14 GB is not a lot. 32 or even 64 GB is a more adequate amount, especially if you work in 4k. Try a half resolution or even a third- that should give you longer previews.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Nov 25, 2012 at 11:27:28 pm

yeah, i've been on 1/4 res previews. I guess I just always assumed that once 1 frame is rendered and its ready to move to the 2nd it just saves the image to ram as an image. that no matter what amount of math was needed for the frame, once done with the frame a frame is still just a frame and it doesn't really matter. but maybe not the case? and no way to save the preview to disk instead of ram?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: preview and memory questions
by on Nov 26, 2012 at 3:13:31 pm

[ben wolfinsohn] "yeah, i've been on 1/4 res previews. I guess I just always assumed that once 1 frame is rendered and its ready to move to the 2nd it just saves the image to ram as an image."

RAM usage is more complicated than that.

What are your Memory and Multiprocessing settings? If you have multiprocessing on, then Ae will launch multiple instances of the renderer to work on multiple frames at the same time -- but to do so, it must set aside chunks of RAM for working memory for each instance. This reduces the total amount of free RAM to the main instance to hold rendered frames.

[ben wolfinsohn] "but maybe not the case? and no way to save the preview to disk instead of ram?"

With CS6, you can cache the comp in the background with Ctrl-Enter or Cmd-Return.

You can also render proxies. I do a lot of large format work, and I use proxies extensively.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:13:06 pm

i have 16 gigs installed, but could get 32 if it will help. and how much does graphics card help too? is it best going with the best card or more processors or both?
thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: preview and memory questions
by on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:25:50 pm

More RAM, more better. I had 32 GB in my previous 8-core workstation. I have 48 GB in my current 12-core workstation (and I could use more for my larger format work).

Faster CPUs will help if you have enough RAM to keep them humming.

A faster GPU (NVIDIA with gobs of CUDA cores) will help accelerate the new ray-tracing 3D renderer, but won't make a huge difference elsewhere. Any mid- to high-end GPU will help with OpenGL acceleration of the Ae interface itself and some plugins like Element 3D, Optical Flares, Magic Bullet Looks, or Mettle FreeForm and ShapeShifter.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]