ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Difference in render times between processors?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh PigfordDifference in render times between processors?
by on Nov 24, 2012 at 7:35:54 pm

I'm looking at buying a new Mac Pro.

I plan on maxing out the memory, but not sure if the CPU upgrade is worth the additional $2400.

Here is what's currently available (that I'm considering).

* Two 2.40GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon processors (12 cores) [BASELINE]
* Two 2.66GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon processor (12 cores) [Add $1,200.00]
* Two 3.06GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (12 cores) [Add $2,400.00

What this really comes down to is render times with After Effects and C4D...so is there a way to get an idea how much faster that 3.06GHz processor would be?

For example: If the baseline renders something in 30 seconds, the 3.06Ghz process could render it in 10 seconds.

That's the kind of comparison I'm looking for. Then I can get a better idea of forking over an additional $2400 is worth it.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Difference in render times between processors?
by on Nov 24, 2012 at 8:25:17 pm

Of course that the faster processor is desirable, but if I had to choose I would max out the RAM and invest in a top of the line Nvidia card on a slower processor since CS6 and above makes really good use of that type of card.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Difference in render times between processors?
by on Nov 25, 2012 at 3:00:42 am

The best-case scenario is that the 3.06GHz processor is going to process something in 2.40/3.06 (about 80%) of the time compared with the 2.40GHz processor, and that's if the CPU is the bottleneck for that specific item being rendered.

Is a savings of (at best) an hour out of a five-hour render worth $2,400 extra dollars to you over the lifetime of the computer? If so, then it's worth getting the fastest CPU.

If you have that kind of money to spend, make sure that you've also got at least two fast drives and lots of RAM, too. It is so terribly often the case that people spend all of their budget on great CPUs and GPUs and leave RAM and disk drives as the bottlenecks.

See this page for information about hardware for After Effects: http://adobe.ly/pRYOuk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Difference in render times between processors?
by on Nov 25, 2012 at 9:55:12 am

I agree with ted on this topic to invest money on a more Powerful card rather then CPU.
The Ray Tracing 3D Rendering Engine in CS6 works 27x faster than
with high-end CPUs alone.

Here is the link of CPU vs GPU performance:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/after-effects-cs6.html

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Difference in render times between processors?
by on Nov 26, 2012 at 3:26:41 pm

[Josh Pigford] "I'm looking at buying a new Mac Pro. I plan on maxing out the memory, but not sure if the CPU upgrade is worth the additional $2400."

If you're really concerned about performance, remember that the Mac Pro is built on Intel workstation processors from 2011. If you buy a Mac Pro today, you are practically buying a 2-year-old workstation.

If you are willing to switch to PC, you can buy a much faster computer. I run both Macs and PCs here, side by side, with Creative Suite and C4D. Interchange is smooth.

[Josh Pigford] "What this really comes down to is render times with After Effects and C4D...so is there a way to get an idea how much faster that 3.06GHz processor would be?"

For C4D times, you can look up CINEBENCH benchmark scores. If you do a lot of 3D work, I'd think the faster machine would be worthwhile (but again, I'd really encourage you to consider a PC, too).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]