Jagged lines on T2i footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Imam
Jagged lines on T2i footage
on Nov 23, 2012 at 7:43:32 pm

Hey all,

Did a search for this problem but couldn't find the specific issue:

I've converted a bunch of 59.97 progressive T2i clips from H.264 to ProRes422 using Final Cut Pro. I then imported the ProRes clips into AECS5 and I'm using them in a 29.976 progressive comp. Thing is, I'm getting jagged lines all over the place. See a pic for an example, but this is happening through my project.

See two pics below - on the street shot you'll see it on the edges of the flower pots. On the ATM one it's present on the edge pieces below the screen of the machine.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? More importantly, any way to fix it? Is this what they call moire?

My only guess is pixel aspect ratio is se to "square". Should I be using something else?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Jagged lines on T2i footage
on Nov 23, 2012 at 7:58:41 pm

How did AE interpret the footage? Did it try to assign a field order when there was none?

If the footage is 1920x1080, it's square pixels.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mike Imam
on Nov 23, 2012 at 8:27:59 pm

Hey Dave,

Didn't do anything to the field settings since there are no fields (right?). The footage is actually 720p (1280x720) and so is the comp, so no scaling going on either.

Just checked the original footage files (the H.264 ones) and they also have the jagged lines so I'm now thinking this has something to do with my camera? Any idea of the cause so I can avoid it next time?

Any way to correct for it in AE?

Thanks a mil.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 23, 2012 at 9:42:44 pm

Nope, nothing you can do about that: the closer a straight line is to just-off horizontal or just-off vertical, the more noticeable the aliasing becomes...especially a high-contrast straight edge.

Actually, it doesn't look bad. The picture's in motion, so you'll hardly notice it.

The only way to avoid it is to use a much pricier camera than yours at a much higher resolution, like 2K or 4K.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Mike Imam
on Nov 23, 2012 at 10:33:07 pm

Got it. More reason to splurge for a full-frame 5D sooner than later.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 24, 2012 at 12:42:33 am

Why? Are you doing something that actually NEEDS the slight increase in resolution to 1920x1080?

If you're not happy with 1280x720, I doubt you'd be much happier with 1920x1080.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

massimo verona
on Nov 24, 2012 at 7:46:08 pm

not to hijack the thread, but does the 5D have less of a problem with this? It does a similar sort of line-skipping right? I have tried to avoid this by using a softening filter to begin with but there is a obvious price to this in sharpness.

Failing as fast as I can at writing producing.

Return to posts index

Mike Imam
on Nov 28, 2012 at 2:10:40 am

Hey Massimo - assuming resolution is the issue, in theory the 5D should help, but I can't confirm, unfortunately. I would try checking out 5D Mark III footage on Vimeo and judge for yourself...

To Dave's point, even when I shoot at 1920x1080 with my T2i I still get the lines, so I'm guessing that having a full-frame sensor (as opposed to mine, which is a crop sensor), should help capture that additional visual info and soften the lines.

More importantly, I want that ultra-crisp look and wide dynamic range the 5D provides.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]