ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need color grading advice in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
j.r. Bey
Need color grading advice in After Effects
on Nov 22, 2012 at 7:18:28 pm

I am a newbie to after effects but I've been color grading in Final Cut for Years. I decided to try AE cs5 to color grade for a music video i'm working on.

I created an XML in FCP then imported in Premier.From Premier I sent to AE now, I have about 50 layers in this one comp.

Initially I tried to Pre-comp each layer to add my curves,levels, saturation, solids etc.. however it throws off the organizational structure of my edit when I pre-comp it.

Then I tried adding my these to my original comp but my adjustment layers are effecting all the clips under it, whereas I wanted an individual color grade for each shot. Plus it seems very unorganized and laggy having all these effects in one comp..

Not sure what to do? Can anyone give me any advice on how to proffesionally and efficently grade in AE. All the tutorials I've seen pre-comp the layer first..but they are also only working with one long clip..not 50 individual layers and clips.. Thanks in advance

Chief Creative Officer
Painted Black Visuals

iMac * Intel Core i3 * 3.06 GHz * ATI Radeon 4670* 4670 FCP 7 * AE CS5 * C4D R12 *

Return to posts index

j.r. Bey
Re: Need color grading advice in After Effects
on Nov 22, 2012 at 8:21:24 pm

UpDATE:

So i figured out my issue was in the translation from a FCP to After effects.
Got that resolved.. Precomped my layers, applied effects and my Final comp looks good!

Guess I just need to fiddle with it more.

Chief Creative Officer
Painted Black Visuals

iMac * Intel Core i3 * 3.06 GHz * ATI Radeon 4670* 4670 FCP 7 * AE CS5 * C4D R12 *

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Nov 22, 2012 at 8:24:11 pm

j.r. Bey

In After Effects, Color Finesse from Synthetic Aperture is the most powerful inbuilt plugin. You can try out your color correction using this plugin.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

j.r. Bey
on Nov 22, 2012 at 8:42:02 pm

Ok. thanks I will try that.

Chief Creative Officer
Painted Black Visuals

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 22, 2012 at 8:35:35 pm

Why don't you try Davinci Resolve Lite. It's free and pretty darn good.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Nov 23, 2012 at 7:39:21 am

Color Grading in AE can be done in many different ways. Color Finesse is a great plugin but there are also alternatives - Colorista 2 is a very powerful option (there's a free version as well that does a heck of a job). Magic Bullet- another option, especially if you are looking for presets. Also, the ability to use Adjustment layers, Pre-comps and Masks enables you to grade with just the regular native plugins - Curves, Hue/Saturation, Levels...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 23, 2012 at 5:17:44 pm

...and there's nothing inherently wrong with simply sticking with Apple Color, either.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]