ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mocha x, y & z tracking issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin CharlesMocha x, y & z tracking issue
by on Nov 22, 2012 at 7:39:44 am

I am new here - though have used CreativeCow a lot when looking for help.
Unfortunately I have not been able to find someone with my issue, which leaves me stuck.
So I've signed up (Hello!), hopefully someone here can help me.

For my graduation piece I am in the post production stages of my short experimental film.

In short - I have created some motion graphics in Cinema 4D. I am looking to composite and motion track it with my footage.

Using Mocha, I have attempted to track my exported graphics
- unfortunately (this is where I'm stuck) -
I can not get the graphics to stick where I want them too.
As the camera moves across all axis' I find the tracking data jumps all over the place, even though I select a decent tracker.

Here is my footage to help give a better understanding... the graphics is to be floating in the middle of the circle of speakers.

Location rough cut

The graphics are in constant rotation, so they won't look flat by the time the camera movement has finished.

Thanks in advance,

AE CS4, Mocha 2.5.2, Cinema 4D R13.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Mocha x, y & z tracking issue
by on Nov 23, 2012 at 1:31:18 am

It would have been better if you had shown where you placed your tracking splines. Also, did you create holdout tracking mattes for the pillars that obscured the tracking area? Another tip is to increase the contrast of the clip prior to tracking - ie create another version of the clip just for tracking.

Ensure that this clip has a higher contrast ratio. The higher contrast will help the tracking engine get a better reference for the floor area, which is where I am assuming you are tracking.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: Mocha x, y & z tracking issue
by on Nov 27, 2012 at 8:11:18 pm

To add to the advice from Roland, if you are doing a 3D camera solve for Cinema 4D, you will need to select multiple planes to track. For example, the floor, and various parts of the wall and pillars.

I'd recommend watching some of Martin Brennand's mocha tutorials on 3D solver:

If you are only looking for 2D track, than the key is where you place your shapes to either animate to avoid the foreground pillars OR to subtract the foreground by putting garbage masks above the floor layer for tracking.

hope this helps

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved