ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Alexa frame number - Comp vs. layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Whitaker
Alexa frame number - Comp vs. layer
on Nov 21, 2012 at 5:21:02 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm in the middle of documenting a workflow for an upcoming job and have a question about making lineups for vfx/comp. In Premiere, I want to be able to identify four things in frames (media start and stop, and timeline start and stop) This works pretty well, although the preview window doesn't show media stop, just media start and length of clip. When I replace clip with AE comp, let's say frame 86 of the comp should line up with frame 170 of the original clip. When I view this clip in the layer window, it's showing frame 970532 from the original Alexa footage. Is there a way to line this up better? I'm trying to anticipate the edit getting slipped, rolled, whatever and having one of the VFX people needing to go back to the original AE comp and slip/slide footage, etc. Thanks so much.

Best,
Craig

Craig Whitaker
Digital Design Director
Assembly
161 Leverington Avenue Suite 1002
Philadelphia, PA 19127
O: 215-487-2060
craig@assemblypix.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Alexa frame number - Comp vs. layer
on Nov 21, 2012 at 8:49:26 pm

[Craig Whitaker] " I'm trying to anticipate the edit getting slipped, rolled, whatever and having one of the VFX people needing to go back to the original AE comp and slip/slide footage, etc."

That's not easy in AE; the assumption is that you've made those edit decisions BEFORE you get to AE.

You can help your cause a bit by adding handles to either side of the clip in question; the in point you use is 90 frames before the cut, the out point is 90 frames after... whatever.

It would also help to tell the people with which you're working, "I'll need picture lock before I start the AE work." It's not unreasonable at all to ask for that.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Craig Whitaker
on Nov 22, 2012 at 1:09:53 am

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I agree 100% that picture lock is the way to go and is a "best practice." It's built into all of our bids, schedules, etc. With that said, I can count on one hand how many times I've actually finished a job after picture lock without going back to the edit. There are a few clients / agencies that understand the process, but most make changes right up until the day of delivery, sometimes hours before. When the shots come over into AE, it appears that the entire clip is brought over as well, so assuming something gets slipped, the handles appear to be there. I'm just trying to figure out if there's a neat and tidy way to keep track of that. Thanks again and have a nice holiday!

Best,
Craig

Craig Whitaker
Digital Design Director
Assembly
161 Leverington Avenue Suite 1002
Philadelphia, PA 19127
O: 215-487-2060
craig@assemblypix.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 23, 2012 at 3:02:58 pm

To fully client-proof your work, you'd have to anticipate each and every change made up to delivery time, which can't be done. If the client substitutes one shot for another, you could be in big trouble depending on the nature of the work. I'm no doubt stating the obvious to you.

But to address the original slip/slide question, there isn't any elegant way in AE to reflect changes to a revised Premiere Pro edit timeline. You'd have to do the AE work for an entire clip, handles and all. It can be done in a separate comp.

There MIGHT be a script that could do it. At first blush finding such a script sounds like a long, long shot.

I'm sure you know the old adage, "You can get it good. You can get it fast. You can get it cheap. Pick any two." It still applies.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]