ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Render setting for long footage? (from .MTS)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nekora SnorbaRender setting for long footage? (from .MTS)
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 12:02:09 pm

This time I have been given few 30min long .MTS(Lumix GH2) from a conference. I have worked the .MTS files directly in After Effects CS5.

The final product are videos from 90 to 120min. The problem is that rendering in QT - H.264 I get massive sizes. Although I played around with the render settings seems I do not get any further.

Anyone can suggest some setting that offer nice quality and reasonable size?

Thanks a lot!!

Return to posts index

Nekora SnorbaRe: Render setting for long footage? (from .MTS)
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 12:56:49 pm

Forgot to say that the footage is 1280 × 720

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Render setting for long footage? (from .MTS)
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 1:48:50 pm

[Nekora Snorba] "The problem is that rendering in QT - H.264 I get massive sizes. Although I played around with the render settings seems I do not get any further."

You should be able to alter the file size by adjusting the bit rate. Try rendering to MPEG-4 H.264 instead of QuickTime.

[Nekora Snorba] "Anyone can suggest some setting that offer nice quality and reasonable size? "

I guess it depends on your definition of "reasonable" but I'd recommend rendering to an intermediate codec like Apple's ProRes (Mac only), Avid's DNxHD (cross-platform), or Go Pro's CineForm (cross-platform). With a high-quality intermediate like this, you can easily target multiple deliverables.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Nekora SnorbaRe: Render setting for long footage? (from .MTS)
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 7:33:25 pm

Thanks for your answer.

I agree with your idea of rendering to some lossless codec. And then play from there depending on the target.
However I was not planning to keep a copy of this footage. Just render it and give it back to the owners.
Thus, I guess that a ProRes(I am a Mac user) file would be too big for them, as they want to upload the video to the internet.

So, I should keep the same resolution with 'reasonable' quality and size.

I have tried H.264 as you said. Target bitrate 8MBps, Max bitrate 12Mbps.
Quality is good, but is gives me around 1M per second.

Is that normal for this resolution? (1280 × 720)
Does it have anything to do with the .MTS file? It is already compressed. So, in order to get nice quality should I precess it to some lossless format, edit and then render-compress?

Sorry for all this questions. I am a bit lost. Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]