ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Warp Stabilizer not working

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kieran FinneyWarp Stabilizer not working
by on Nov 20, 2012 at 10:19:49 pm

Anyone else able to use the warp stabilizer in CS6? I get an error about not being able to obtain a dynamic link server. I know that dynamic link thing is to use with Premiere, but I just want to stabilize my clip in AE and go back to FCP. I'm not working on anything critical, but I do know soon I'll be stabilizing some aerial shots so I'm trying to sort out my workflow.

K-man

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Warp Stabilizer not working
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 1:50:13 am

Check this link - http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1007165

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Kieran FinneyRe: Warp Stabilizer not working
by on Nov 26, 2012 at 7:17:58 pm

yes thanks for trying at least, I appreciate it. I'd read that and tried it but it's not at all a solution here.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 26, 2012 at 11:59:12 pm

The Dynamic Link Server is used to link AE and the engine that serves the Warp Stabilizer. Perhaps you can let us know what your system specs and memory settings are in AE.

BTW, are you Kieran (from Saskatchewan?) from the Media100 maillist from the 'early days' of desktop video editing?

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Nov 27, 2012 at 1:45:18 pm

I am he, and it was British Columbia. No one lives in Saskatchewan if they can help it. Now I'm in North Carolina.

I stopped doing this for several years to pursue another degree and to try unemployment for a while, but I'm back at it. In fact I'm considering whether to jump back to M100 again.

As for AE, I have a MacPro with 12GB Ram and 2 x2.4 Quad-core Xeons. 16TB of storage. I set AE up to take up to 8 GB (shared with other Adobe apps) I have render multiple frames simultaneously checked, 1GB allocated per background CPU. I do have Perian installed, I know FX Factory keeps telling me it's unstable when it launches. I have a Matrox MXo2 LE hooked up via PCI card.

Warp Stabilizer doesn't work, nor does Track Camera.

What else would help to figure this out?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 27, 2012 at 2:29:06 pm

[Kieran Finney] "No one lives in Saskatchewan if they can help it."

Hurhurhur! BTW, I hope that wasn't meant to intentionally be a moosogynistic statement. ;-)

Now that you've mentioned moving to North Carolina, me thinks you've done so for quite awhile - I sort of recall you mentioning this, on the olde list, IIRC.

For your current issues, I'm not familiar with the number of cores on your Mac or any Mac for that matter. However, your issue has been well documented.

The links to the docs I posted in this thread are very relevant. If I were in your shoes, I would -
1) disable MP in AE
2) set 6GB to other apps

This will essentially reserve 6GB of RAM for the Warp Stabilizer and Camera Tracker (depending on which one you're running) and allow AE to manage/optimize multi-threading, given these resources.

If this still doesn't work, then try setting aside 8GB of RAM for other apps. The gist of it is that the Warp Stabilizer/Camera Tracker algorithms require more RAM allocated to 'other apps' than other AE plugins/effects. Pertinent variables other than GB per core set aside for AE (if you're setup for MP, ie Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously) and RAM set aside for 'other apps' include length and screen resolution of your clip.

I appreciate that chopper footage will likely be a single, one-take, long-duration shot. Try your bestest to optimize your setup to partake in such an exercise for the Warp Stabilizer/Camera Tracker. Otherwise, you will have to look at upgrading your RAM or outsourcing.

As a next step, if everything you've done doesn't alleviate or solve the problem, then at least post your MP and RAM settings as well as info on your footage duration and resolution. Hopefully this info will help others trying to work with a similar setup, looking for a similar solution.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Nov 27, 2012 at 3:40:54 pm

there are 16 cores, 12 GB ram. So you're saying 12GB of ram is not enough? Imagine that statement 3 years ago. I didn't think those links you sent weren't relevant, I had just already tried those solutions. The clips in question are a handheld shot sitting in the backseat looking at the rearview mirror to simulate the driver's view. I also shot from the front actually looking through the back window. The idea was to first stabilize both shots as well as possible, and then track and matte the rear view into the rearview mirror to eliminate the reflection of the camera. Both shots are 2 seconds.

The irony here is that I own pretty decent rigging equipment for cameras in or on cars. I just hadn't planned to do this shot, so the right stuff was at home.

I know I could track the rearview mirror better with Mocha. What about stabilizing in Mocha? (I use it so infrequently I have to go through the tutorials every time I do).

I was in Fort Worth from 2000 to 2005, then NC ever since. It's nice, but it's not BC.

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: Warp Stabilizer not working
by on Nov 27, 2012 at 8:05:18 pm

You can do a smoothed stabilize with the bundled mocha AE and the mocha Import plug-in from Mamoworld:

http://www.mamoworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=262%3...

You can also do similar with mocha Pro which can render stabilized or smoothed shots with autofill on the edges.

Here are a few more stabilize tutorials on the mocha web site:
http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos?tagFilter=stabilize&sortBy=Newest

best,
Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]