ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Best way to split animations for programmers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
João CunhaBest way to split animations for programmers
by on Nov 20, 2012 at 12:51:20 pm

I work on mobile development and I do all the animation simulations via AE. However, when it's time to export everything in PNG's with X width and Y height, that overlap each other, I need to copy all the things on my timeline to another comp and re-arrange all the elements till I get what I want.

Is there any workflow to make this "decomposition" process fast and easier?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Best way to split animations for programmers
by on Nov 20, 2012 at 1:12:10 pm

Without knowing more details about your project I can think only of one way- create all individual parts of your animation in precomps that are the final size and bring them all in in one big comp to see the final animation simulation. This will enable you to just render each precomp separately once you are happy with the way things look together. As afr as working on the animations in the precomps and seeing the final result at the same time, you can lock the main comp (the animation simulation one) and open another comp window side by side with it where you can see all your precomps as you work on them individually.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

João CunhaRe: Best way to split animations for programmers
by on Nov 20, 2012 at 3:31:33 pm

The question is that, sometimes the main comp has, for example, a character moving on the screen. However, generally I need the character making the movement but standing in place. I know I can just deactivate the "position" animation and it should stop and maintain, for example the puppet animation.
I did the question having hope that there was a more automated way of doing this. Either way, thank you.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Best way to split animations for programmers
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 4:15:36 pm

Ted's suggestion to use pre-comps still applies in the case you described. You could do your animation with the character standing still in a pre-comp, then move that into the main comp and animate the position around. You'd always have the "standing still" animation in the pre-comp when you need it.

If you've already done your animation then you might try using the pre-compose function (ctrl-shift-c on pc, command-shift-c on mac). I'd use "Leave All Attributes" which will leave all effects and keyframes in the main comp. You could then cut the effects/attributes that you need from the main comp and paste them in the "standing still" pre-comp. Sometimes there are details that make this complicated, but it might be worth a shot.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Best way to split animations for programmers
by on Nov 20, 2012 at 11:07:16 pm

If I understand you correctly, you may only have to nest your comps in another comp and scale them until they're the size and position you want.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved