ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Repair flicker bands on DSLR footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack HextallRepair flicker bands on DSLR footage
by on Nov 20, 2012 at 12:22:10 pm

Before I start, I'm aware that this problem has been posted a few times before, that there isn't an easy fix and that it's best to reshoot. I have no option of reshooting and am happy to spend a bitter time trying for a solution, however partial. Any comments on my attempts so far would be greatly appreciated!

So the problem is horizontal lines of flicker resulting from a clash between shutter speed and lighting frequency. In this case I tried changing shutter speed but flicker persisted. I didn't try changing the frame rate from 25 to 24 and am not sure if this would've helped.

Here's a sample of footage:

So it first looked to me like undulating lines of darkness and brightness. So I made a gradient mask and key-framed it to the movement of the flicker bands.

Here's the gradient mask:

I then tried using the mask as a luma matte for an adjustment layer. So far I've tried changing the brightness, but it looks to be more than that.

Does anyone have a better idea of the way the bands change the "original" image? And am I completely barking up the wrong tree or wasting my time? I've not had that much experience with grading but have access to Colorista if that helps.

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Jack HextallRe: Repair flicker bands on DSLR footage
by on Nov 25, 2012 at 2:35:43 pm

Any takers with ideas for this?

Return to posts index

Jonathan LawrenceRe: Repair flicker bands on DSLR footage
by on Dec 17, 2012 at 4:20:17 am

Jack I have experienced this too but it has been periodic and thank god not at crucial shoots - No answer yet but I am going to look into it now.

Jonathan Lawrence

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved