ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

offset keyframe?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Coanoffset keyframe?
by on Nov 20, 2012 at 2:21:45 am

Any suggestions out there for moving an object that has translation keyframes? I'd like to reposition a layer that has already been keyframed, and maintain the relative movement. I'd like the layer to be offset by it's new placement so that it's translation keyframes are not disturbed, simply animating in a new location.

As it stands, I can only think of re-keying in the new position, or making a comp and repositioning that, within a parent composition.

Moderation in all, and all is relative.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: offset keyframe?
by on Nov 20, 2012 at 2:52:34 am

I can think of several ways.

You could change the anchor point.

You could copy and paste the position keyframes from the original object onto a new null object. Clear the original position keyframes, then parent the object to the null. Move the original as necessary.

You could add an expression to the position property. Alt-click the stopwatch and enter the following expression:
value + [x,y]Simply change x and y to whatever values you want to use for the offset, or add a point control or a pair of slider controls to the layer and replace x and y with pickwhips to those controls.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: offset keyframe?
by on Nov 20, 2012 at 2:53:42 am

You can either
(1) parent the layer to a Null and re-translate as required
(2) select all the transform KFs (one property at a time) that you want to translate, position the CTI over one of the selected KFs then scrub the value of the property. All these are done within the Timeline.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved