ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Frame Size Confusion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Banks
Frame Size Confusion
on Nov 19, 2012 at 3:38:37 am

I have an exported from Premiere CS5 clip that has a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

I import the clip into AE and create a composition with the resolution of 770 x 512.

I place the clip on the timeline and scale it so that it fits within the 770 x 512 canvas, with some edges being cropped. This is what I want.

I then export/make movie from the composition in AE so that I can then use the 770 x512 version of the clip in a website.

I play the exported file in VLC and the edges are no longer cropped and the video appears to be at the original resolution.

I import the clip into AE to check the properties and it states that the clip is 770 x 512.

Why does it play without the cropped edges after export as 770 x 512 in any media players?

Why would AE say it is 770 x 512?

I even tried uploading the clip to youtube seeing as AE said it was 770 x 512, but it uploads without the cropped edges.

This is driving me crazy as I have no idea why it's doing this!

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated :)
Thanks,
Martin.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: Frame Size Confusion
on Nov 19, 2012 at 9:48:31 am

Martin

If the video is playing with cropped edges and in 770*500 resolution in AE , then it means that the playback settings of VLC are altered.

Just try to play the rendered video in any other player and see what happens.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Martin Banks
on Nov 19, 2012 at 11:42:55 pm

The stage/canvas in AE is set to 770 x 512 . The left and right side edges of my imported clip overhang the stage/canvas, the top and bottom of the clip are aligned with the top and bottom of the canvas. I would not expect the overhang to be visible once the clip has been rendered/exported.

This has not happened to me in 6 years of using AE.

The exported clip from that project plays in VLC with the overhanging edges, in WMP and in youtbue with these edges which should not be rendering as they are not visible on the stage/canvas.

However AE still states the newly exported clip is 770 x 512 when re-imported to AE, even though it plays differently elsewhere.

I am still unable to solve this problem. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 20, 2012 at 2:19:12 am

[Martin Banks] "However AE still states the newly exported clip is 770 x 512 when re-imported to AE, even though it plays differently elsewhere. I am still unable to solve this problem. Does anyone else have any ideas?"

Are you absolutely sure that you're comparing the same file in the different apps? As you point out, the cropped image data does not exist in Ae's output file, so there's no way it could appear in the render.

What format are you rendering to?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Nov 20, 2012 at 7:22:10 am

Take a few screen shots of your comp, output module and render settings and post them here, maybe we can figure something out.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]