ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Suggestions for learning about encoding & compression?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maher Elzeiny
Suggestions for learning about encoding & compression?
on Nov 19, 2012 at 1:33:15 am

Hi everyone,

I am somewhat new at After Effects. I mean I am at an intermediate level at using it. I animate cartoons, and also create motion graphics , and visual effects with it; however, I am used to rendering for Youtube videos. Now that I have jumped into accepting projects from clients, they request different render settings (compressions/codecs/etc) that I am not used to. And sometimes they request codecs options that are not even available to me on After Effects (I use CS4). I usually just do some research to see the best settings associated with a codec and whatnot but I still cannot help but feel clueless. It is fine to follow steps, but I want to understand the concepts in depth like a pro!

I am having trouble finding in-depth texts online on encoding and compression and I was wondering if anyone can suggest me any resource on the subject, whether it is an ebook, textbook, blog, video tutorial - anything! I just want to be able to know when to render in quicktime with Pro Res as opposed to DVCHD or Animation or what is AVC, when to use what settings, etc.! I want to know the difference between these settings.

Also, what are some good "starter" codec packs to install that would give me rendering options that are commonly desired? I have quicktime; however ProRes is not an available option to me, which is a setting asked of me on multiple occasions now.

Thank you all for your time and consideration,

Maher

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Suggestions for learning about encoding & compression?
on Nov 19, 2012 at 11:27:55 pm

A good place to start is here:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/729526

Also, what are some good "starter" codec packs to install that would give me rendering options that are commonly desired? I have quicktime; however ProRes is not an available option to me, which is a setting asked of me on multiple occasions now.

Be very, very wary of codec packs. Some (such as K-Lite) can be damaging to your ability to use other software.

Regarding ProRes: You can get those codecs from the Apple website.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Maher Elzeiny
Re: Suggestions for learning about encoding & compression?
on Dec 14, 2012 at 7:31:32 pm

Thanks for your response Todd. The link is definitely a great start!

Cheers,

Maher

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]