ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Issue Using Warp Stabilizer with Large Clip

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben HuebscherIssue Using Warp Stabilizer with Large Clip
by on Nov 19, 2012 at 12:00:17 am

New to this forum and After Effects CS6. I'm having quite a headache attempting to stabilize an ~30 minute 1080p @ 29.97fps clip (shot on the Sony NEX-700). I've converted the clip to Apple ProRes which makes it an ~30GB file. I've tried a number of times to stabilize the clip using the Warp Stabilizer. My settings, which I designed by applying and tweaking the settings to a smaller portion of the clip, are as follows:

• 75% Smoothness

• Subspace Warp

• Stabilize, Crop, Auto-Scale

• Auto Scale with Max @ 150% and Min @ 0%

• Detailed Analysis is ON

• Rolling Shutter Enhanced Reduction

• Crop Less <--> Smooth More @ 68%

I keep getting Out of Memory Errors when Virtual Memory balloons to over 50GBs and seemingly won't grow any more. My system is spec'ed as follows:

• 2011 27" iMac with 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

• 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM

• Boot Drive is 2TBs with >1TB of free disk space

• Footage is on external Firewire SSD drive

• Disk Cache is on external Thunderbolt RAID (500GBs allotted)

• After Effects CS6 11.0.2

• OS X 10.8.2

Memory setting are currently as follows:

• 3GB (the minimum) allocated for use by other applications

• Multi-Frame Render is OFF

Those are just the settings as they stand. I've tried a few configurations. I know I could divide the clip up into chunks but I'd rather not do that. Any idea how to fix this issues? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Issue Using Warp Stabilizer with Large Clip
by on Nov 19, 2012 at 3:02:24 am

Here's some info that will be helpful - http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/05/memory-and-storage-tips-for-war....

There's another Adobe link but I can't find it. The link states that during analysis and solving stages, the Warp Stabilizer uses memory placed into "RAM reserved for other applications". Therefore, if my memory serves me correctly, remove MP and set aside 4GB for AE and place the rest of your RAM into "RAM reserved for other applications".

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Ben HuebscherRe: Issue Using Warp Stabilizer with Large Clip
by on Nov 19, 2012 at 3:36:44 am

Wow! Thanks for the tip. I split my memory evenly between reserved for AE and not and now it seems to be working. Ran a 10-minute clip section through and AE oddly peaked at 12GB memory usage but swap didn't rise above 12 GB. I'd switched to booting off the 2TB when the render had crashed twice in row on my internal SSD when the 50GB available for swap space was filled so this is encouraging. Gonna see how it handles the 30 minute clip.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 19, 2012 at 10:29:29 am

Thanks for reporting back Ben. Have you been able to complete the full 30 minutes?

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Issue Using Warp Stabilizer with Large Clip
by on Nov 19, 2012 at 11:35:17 pm

> There's another Adobe link but I can't find it. The link states that during analysis and solving stages, the Warp Stabilizer uses memory placed into "RAM reserved for other applications". Therefore, if my memory serves me correctly, remove MP and set aside 4GB for AE and place the rest of your RAM into "RAM reserved for other applications".

That's something that I mentioned in a forum thread. I'll update the blog post with that now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Nov 19, 2012 at 11:43:04 pm

Hi Todd, it was definitely you but my recall is that it was in one of your blog posts (due to the formatting on the page) and it was posted with regards to the Warp Stabilizer when CS5.5 was just released (well, definitely prior to CS6).

What really bothers me is that I can't seem to retrieve the URL with my searches.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Ben HuebscherRe: Issue Using Warp Stabilizer with Large Clip
by on Nov 20, 2012 at 1:10:48 am

So a quick update...

I haven't attempted the full 30 minute clip yet. After successfully outputting a version of the first 10 minutes of the clip, I attempted to do the next 10 minutes and ran into memory issues. Realizing that it might be that I hadn't deleted the stabilizing data from the first clip (I was working off a copy of the same AE file), I did that and then attempted the next 10 minute clip again and ran into memory issues. I then realized that even though I'd deleted the first stabilize, the data had already been loaded into memory so I did a full restart and I'm trying to analyze and render the second 10 minute clip again. So far it's working but it's leading me to believe that there's no way to do the full 30 minute clip. Now that I've got this working, I'm gonna do the 3 clips separately so I can get this job out then try a pass at the full 30 minute clip. I'll let you know how it goes.

A few screenshots for you to mull over:

This is the error message I got in AE after the first attempt and what my memory usage looks like when I see that error message:

This is the error message I got in AE after the second attempt and what my memory usage looks like when I see that error message:

And my hard drive usage (note that I'm booted off "New HD" - external FW800 HD, my user folder is on "Aux HD" - internal HD, the original footage and AE file on "Scratch Disk" - external FW800 SSD, and the file 500 MB AE cache is on "Sunset Strip" - external Thunderbolt RAID 0):

Return to posts index

by on Nov 20, 2012 at 2:41:42 am

Ben, if you are going to split the stabilization workflow into three equal processes then it is best to use three AEPs. The link that I provided earlier states that memory requirements for Warp Stabilization are incremental even if you break up a long clip into smaller parts.

The trick is to use a separate AEP for each segment. This ensures that memory requirements are equally divided among the three AEPs. If you tried to stabilize the 30-minute clip while having completed the stabilization of a 10-minute segment, then you're actually asking AE for memory for 40-minute's worth footage to stabilize - NOT a good idea.

Given your earlier positive feedback, you should be fine with the recommended strategy. Lastly, it'll be good if you could run the entire 30-minute clip when you have the time to do so - just to see how far you can push the algorithm. Of course your memory allocation settings will play a crucial part in the solution, or lack of.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]