ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

relinking files not working like it use to

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ben wolfinsohn
relinking files not working like it use to
on Nov 17, 2012 at 6:34:59 pm

I used to be able to change the name of a photoshop source file and then when I reopened AE it would be smart enough to know it was the same file and I would not have to relink the file. but now Its not so smart and can't find it when the source files gets changed. any ideas? is it a new CS6 thing?

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: relinking files not working like it use to
on Nov 18, 2012 at 1:20:34 pm

Ben

I tried to change the name of my imported file and AE gave me a message of missing file in CS 5.5 version and CS 3.

Anyway you can Replace the footage by pressing Cntrl/Cmnd + H on missing file in project panel.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 18, 2012 at 4:38:27 pm

[ben wolfinsohn] "is it a new CS6 thing?"

This is how AE has always worked. In fact this is how I assume most software work.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

ben wolfinsohn
on Nov 18, 2012 at 6:45:53 pm

if i want to built a project so i could easily swap out the photoshop source file whats the best way of doing that if my photoshop file has 100 layers and I don't want to have to relink each of the layers?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 19, 2012 at 12:58:06 pm

I don't use PS much. The best workaround AFAIK is to create your PS files with additional empty layers when you first import them into AE. If you're going to change your PS file, wholesale, then it's best to save them to individual layers before importing them into AE.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Jim Wilcox
on Nov 19, 2012 at 7:49:49 pm

We do this all the time versioning projects. Just close the AE project. Go to the finder and append the PSD file name with something (eg FOO_dec12.psd). Place your revised PSD version where ever you want on your local drive, then open the AE project and repoint a single layer to the new version of the PSD file. All layers are re-linked.

Return to posts index

ben wolfinsohn
on Nov 19, 2012 at 10:20:45 pm

ok. I tried this and after I relink 1 layer in the psd file it does not automatically relink all other layers. I only added "_01" to the psd file name. its making me find each layer at a time. I do remember it used to automatically do the rest for me. but for some reason its not. any ideas?

Return to posts index

Jim Wilcox
on Nov 20, 2012 at 12:47:34 am

Ben,

I am assuming your replacement PSD file is named identically to your original PSD file (the file you appended the name of). Try placing this new PSD in a separate folder and then...

When you open your AE project it should tell you 100 (or how ever many layers) are missing. Double click on one of the missing layers which will open a dialog box then navigate to the new PSD file (that has the identical name as the original file) AE should then automatically link all the missing layers.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you can't change the names of those layers...the contents yes, but not the layer names.

You are probably saying "tell me something I don't know" but just want to cover the bases.

What OS are you running?

Return to posts index

ben wolfinsohn
on Nov 20, 2012 at 12:55:48 am

the idea was if i built a project with a single 100 layer photoshop file in it, and using the photoshop file and the AE file as a template. so I can make many photoshop files, all with the same layers and layer names, import each photoshop file into a copy of that same AE project. so I do need to change the name of the photoshop file, or else I'd have to many files with the same names and it would cause problems. but yes, I would not ever change the names of the layers or the number of layers inside. only need to change the name of the file.

Return to posts index

Jim Wilcox
on Nov 20, 2012 at 1:17:24 am

Ben,

Maybe someone else knows another way, but where it breaks down is changing the name of the PSD file. For our workflow I just have a folder structure premade for all projects that have folders (empty) for AE, photoshop, mocha, protools etc. If I am versioning something out I don't care if I have a PSD file in two different project files that might share the same name (George Forman named all his sons George someone once told me).

If I have to go back to the original project again, I just go into the graphics folder and remove my appending name and the associated AE project that is in that same enclosing folder is right back in business.

I am all ears if someone knows a way you can change the name of the PSD and not have to re-link every layer.

Return to posts index

Damon Seeley
on Mar 25, 2014 at 11:59:58 pm

I realize this is an old thread but it's the first google result so....

You can relink whole psd layer sets by closing and opening the comp in AFX CC. For some reason re-linking while the comp is open will not auto re-link all layers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]