ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS6 caching hangs the system every time I preview

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fadi BaqiCS6 caching hangs the system every time I preview
by on Nov 17, 2012 at 6:23:49 pm

I have recently put together a system specifically made for AE but have found that the way it caches has seriously slowed down my entire workflow.

Every time I hit RAM preview, no matter how small the project, AE hangs as it "initialized background processes" and then stops at frame 2 while the media cache HDD churns and churns, sometimes for 30 seconds. Eventually rendering starts and it is blazing fast, but it makes previewing quite a hassle to use.

This behavior is directly linked to multiprocessing, and if I switch it off there is no wait before rendering begins, however this runs counterintuitive to my whole set up and slows down my work considerably.

It seems that the way AE CS6 does its caching is with small 128KB files that completely throttle the mechanical hard drives and really make this feature unusable.

Short of cancelling multiprocessing, does anyone have any suggestions?

My search on the internet has yielded similar complaints:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4612023
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1021286

I am on a:
Windows 7 x64
i7 3930K
32GB of RAM
Multiprocessing ON - 8 GB reserved for other applications - RAM allocation per CPU is 3GB - using 6 cores
Disk Cache enabled - maximum disk cache set at 50GB
After Effects CS6 on an SSD SATA III
my media on a Caviar Black SATA II
disk cache set to another Caviar Black SATA II.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: CS6 caching hangs the system every time I preview
by on Nov 17, 2012 at 8:42:31 pm

Your cache should be on your SSD.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Fadi BaqiRe: CS6 caching hangs the system every time I preview
by on Nov 17, 2012 at 9:19:22 pm

My SSD is my boot drive. Is it wise to have to my cache on my boot and application drive?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: CS6 caching hangs the system every time I preview
by on Nov 18, 2012 at 12:16:51 am

Yes.

Caches should be on your fastest drive with the fastest connection.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Andrew HoevelerRe: CS6 caching hangs the system every time I preview
by on Dec 3, 2012 at 8:48:08 pm

I ran into a MAJOR problem with this disk cache file issue, to the extent that I would call it a bug.

I began my process in Adobe Premiere, editing almost 3TB of footage, and set up my SSD with the disk cache file directory, as specified by Adobe. Then, I continued my process in After Effects, where it automatically uses the same cache directory specified in Premiere.

The problem started happening in After Effects, when EVERY time I would save, the system would save properly, but then when I clicked the mouse to begin working again, the beachball (Mac OS X Mountain Lion) would spin for nearly 2 MINUTES (I timed it). This happened every single time I would save!

I tried EVERYTHING from disabling multi-processing, to re-allocating RAM and CPUs, etc. until FINALLY I decided to point the cache directory to a new, fresh directory on my SSD, and "deleting" the old cache when it asked me to. Ta-DA! Problem solved, everything runs perfectly now!!

Bottom line, when using a large amount of media, the cache file directory can balloon to a huge unmanageable size that causes After Effects to hang. Surprisingly, this hangup does not happen in Premiere.

WHY IS THIS VALUABLE BIT OF INFORMATION NOWHERE TO BE FOUND FROM ADOBE?!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]