ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is there a way to display imbedded timecode?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Arco
Is there a way to display imbedded timecode?
on Nov 17, 2012 at 12:31:42 pm

I sometimes need to know the date and time that a recording was made. Is there a way to view the timecode of the clip in After Effects? (or Premiere Pro?)

Jim

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Is there a way to display imbedded timecode?
on Nov 17, 2012 at 1:24:37 pm

If you expand your project panel though, and click by name, you can access the columns and add date(the date the clip was created). Some codecs and file types(quicktime) keep the source time code now too and AE(presumably Premiere too) will have that data available and you can turn that on and off in the project panel.(Media Start, Media End). Unless you set your timecode to time of day and free run, I don't think you will get the time a clip was created.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 17, 2012 at 8:52:21 pm

Use the Timecode effect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
on Nov 18, 2012 at 1:19:31 pm

Thank you, I don't know why I didn't find that with a search. Apparently, I still can't show the actual date that the source material was shot?

Additional strangeness:
When I add a file to AE CS5.5, the date that the file was created (in Windows) is shown, but when I add it to 'create composition,' the 'date modified' of the file is changed in Windows and AE. So everything winds up with today's date.

What is AE doing to change my files? And how can I prevent it?

Jim

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 19, 2012 at 6:42:42 pm

> When I add a file to AE CS5.5, the date that the file was created (in Windows) is shown, but when I add it to 'create composition,' the 'date modified' of the file is changed in Windows and AE. So everything winds up with today's date.

What is AE doing to change my files? And how can I prevent it?

XMP ID values are written to source files when they are imported into After Effects if the Write XMP IDs To Files On Import preference is selected in the Media & Cache preferences category.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Nov 18, 2012 at 12:49:49 pm

Jim

Right click on the video file and go to Properties(Windows)and then go to Details Panel.

Scroll down and then you will get to know the " Date Created " with the exact Time.

Just add this information as a Text layer or if you want to animate it then you can use Numbers Effect.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
on Nov 19, 2012 at 1:15:59 pm

Thanks Vishesh, but that only works for file-based video recording.

I am currently working with a bunch of video captured from DV tape and the "Date created" is the date the video was captured. (Also, AE seems to be changing that date to today's date when I apply the timecode effect.)

Jim

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 19, 2012 at 2:46:11 pm

The "date created" metadata isn't part of time code. You have to look it up on your own. AE won't recognize it.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
on Nov 19, 2012 at 10:50:36 pm

Dave,

Thanks for the info. Actually what I need most is (unfortunately) the date that is imbedded in the video itself. Ideally, in a way that would be able to be used in an expression.

There are any number of utilities that let me look at the date and time that are contained in the video, but none integrate into PPro/AE.

Is this worth doing a feature request, or is this one of those things purposely omitted because someone else has the copyrights/patents already locked down?

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]