ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is this how the industry works?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jess Stockton
Is this how the industry works?
on Nov 17, 2012 at 10:06:43 am

I want to get a job in motion graphics and last week I saw a link to an article by a guy who writes ads for TV and owns his own motion graphics company. He's dying of cancer [I think], and said he regrets everything about working in the industry. I've been really worried since reading it. I mean, maybe he's just angry at what's happening to him but its kinda weird to just crap all over your entire lifes work even if.

Today I'm looking at the job listings and found this one that made me remember the article when I saw this part of the job description: "If you sometimes find yourself in the wee hours of the night with one hand on your keyboard obsessively adjusting key frames, while the other hand dips Nilla wafers in the milky way, this could be just the job for you."
Is that supposed to make me excited to work all night long? I feel like they are trying to sell me Dew or Monster instead of a fun career.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Is this how the industry works?
on Nov 17, 2012 at 1:35:46 pm

Not really the right forum, perhaps a mod will move it, but I'll answer. And that would be sometimes...

Now remembering that I've been doing this all the way back in the time of linear editing, my first job in the industry was great, but every Friday, me and 2 others would generally put in an 18 hour day to finish a high school sports show. It was my first job and I loved it.

2nd job, made me feel like the guy who was pretty angry. I ended up working for the most abusive, narcissistic and oblivious human I have ever met. It took 8 months to extract myself from that situation and every day going to work felt like a trip to the gallows.

Now I've been with a great company for 9 years...and still there are day when things arise in the business where you have to work a late night, lose a weekend, get up at 3AM to catch a flight, but for the most part every day I go to work looking forward to the new challenges I'm going to face, how am I going to solve a clients problem and all kinds of fun that doing this job provides.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Nov 17, 2012 at 8:27:29 pm

I've been freelance for a few years full time (after working for a tech company totally not related to media and moonlighting as a photographer and assistant).

Working long hours is part of the job. Will you over promise yourself? Yes, but you'll get better at avoiding it. Will you come across projects with hard deadlines? Yes, and everyone has to work hard on those.

I've done 20 hour days of greenscreen rotoscoping (coffee can only do so much). Does it suck? Yes. Is it everyday? No.

I think the biggest factor is work environment. You'll hate working for a boss or with clients who grind you down. I lean towards project with the people I consider my second family; I'm lucky to have enough work where I can start turning down things and stick to better stuff.

Put another way: would you rather pull 12-14 hour days for 2-3 weeks straight on something you enjoy or would you rather live in Nebraska and work at a grocery store the rest of your life? That perspective always calms me down.

Of course, this is from the perspective of a mostly single guy in his late 20's. Once you start throwing relationships and families into the mix, things change. I'm working hard now so I don't have to as much once I've established myself.

Angelo Lorenzo

Love my answer? Do me a huge favor and check out my Kickstarter project The Librarian, starring Jennie Garth of Beverly Hills 90210.

Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Tom Masters
on Nov 18, 2012 at 7:33:57 pm

I read that article as well.
I feel for his broader life situation. however...

At the end of the day, you try to work doing what you love to do.
If you can identify that career and find money in it, consider yourself very fortunate.

Then try to work on YOUR terms. You'd be surprised. If you convey what you want, what you will accept, you very well might get what you want.. with talent and hard work.

I get the feeling that the author of that was upset because one of the above elements was not there. Perhaps he would have been happier in another job. Perhaps he did not set his terms. Perhaps it was just a rant.. we all have them.

Looking at the quote from Thomas Edison in a post in this thread:
Do you think Thomas Edison stayed up countless nights against his will and was unhappy about it?
No way. He was a passionate inventor and clearly loved what he did.

If motion graphics is your passion, burning the midnight oil doing it will be something you will want to do.
Just make sure that it is your passion, and that you do it on your terms.

fwiw: I stayed up all night last night with a tablet pen in one hand and a glass of wine in the other.. and I couldn't be happier about it.

best of luck Jess.

Return to posts index

Tom Masters
on Nov 18, 2012 at 7:34:57 pm

I read that article as well.
I feel for his broader life situation. however...

At the end of the day, you try to work doing what you love to do.
If you can identify that career and find money in it, consider yourself very fortunate.

Then try to work on YOUR terms. You'd be surprised. If you convey what you want, what you will accept, you very well might get what you want.. with talent and hard work.

I get the feeling that the author of that was upset because one of the above elements was not there. Perhaps he would have been happier in another job. Perhaps he did not set his terms. Perhaps it was just a rant.. we all have them.

Looking at the quote from Thomas Edison in a post in this thread:
Do you think Thomas Edison stayed up countless nights against his will and was unhappy about it?
No way. He was a passionate inventor and clearly loved what he did.

If motion graphics is your passion, burning the midnight oil doing it will be something you will want to do.
Just make sure that it is your passion, and that you do it on your terms.

fwiw: I stayed up all night last night with a tablet pen in one hand and a glass of wine in the other.. and I couldn't be happier about it.

best of luck...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]