ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Snap to guides not working in AE CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Roper
Snap to guides not working in AE CS6
on Nov 15, 2012 at 12:07:32 pm

I cannot get path points to snap to guides. Layers will snap, but path points (nor bézier handles) will not. Is this normal? It's just something I've lived with, but it's getting to really annoy me. Is this the same on everyone else's AE?

Could it be some graphics card anomaly? I'm running a MacPro with 2x Nvidia Quadro 4000s.

- Paul

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Snap to guides not working in AE CS6
on Nov 15, 2012 at 12:47:38 pm

I just got mask and motion path points to snap the guides I created. Exactly what and how are you trying to accomplish this, also a screen shot of your comp window might be helpful.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 15, 2012 at 2:04:34 pm

Have you enabled Snap to Guides? You do this via the View Menu or the CTRL+Shift+; keys.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Nov 15, 2012 at 2:36:13 pm

Now I feel stupid, I had no idea you could actually turn that off. Good to know, thanks Roland.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Paul Roper
on Nov 15, 2012 at 3:32:10 pm

Right - I've discovered it only under fairly specific circumstances - looks like a bug to me; I'd be interested to have other people try it out:

1. Create a new comp.

2. Using any of the shape tools (polystar is a good one - plenty of points to move around) hold down option/alt BEFORE and while dragging to create an editable path shape, not a parametric one.

3. Drag a guide onto the comp and ensure 'snap to guides' is on.

4. Drag one of the points around, all over the guides, with no snapping. You might have to open up the shape layer and click on the word 'Path 1' to get to the points without moving the whole thing.

5. Just to make sure that some snapping is on, drag the whole layer, and see it snap to the guide.

If anyone else can recreate this, I'll send a bug report to Adobe. In fact we should all let them know about this.

- Paul

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Nov 15, 2012 at 4:26:46 pm

[Paul Roper] "If anyone else can recreate this, I'll send a bug report to Adobe. In fact we should all let them know about this.
"

Same result here with a polystar shape.

Return to posts index

Paul Roper
on Nov 15, 2012 at 5:17:35 pm

Bug report submitted.

Return to posts index

Guto Cardoso
on May 12, 2014 at 8:33:20 pm

Hi, I'm new to AE and I cannot make the snapping feature to work. I also don't have the snapping button on the top bar that I see on tutorial...

Would really appreciate if someone could help me with this.

Many Thanks...

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 12, 2014 at 9:11:56 pm

> I'm new to AE and I cannot make the snapping feature to work. I also don't have the snapping button on the top bar that I see on tutorial...

What exact version of After Effects are you using? I'm guessing that you're trying to use a version before After Effects CC (12.0), in which the snapping features were introduced:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/06/snapping-of-layer-features-in-t...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Guto Cardoso
on May 12, 2014 at 9:29:39 pm

Thank you for your reply, just found out 5 minutes ago that that was the problem. I'm using CS 6...

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 16, 2012 at 12:08:32 am

I think that vertices of shape layer paths don't snap. It's not exactly a bug; it's just a limitation in the feature. I'll go down the hall and check with the engineer responsible for this part of the code and check---and lodge an enhancement request if I'm right.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 16, 2012 at 12:33:23 am

[Todd Kopriva] "I think that vertices of shape layer paths don't snap"

But mask vertices do snap to guides. Further, for a Shape Layer, its boundaries do not snap when they are initially created and still selected. The user has to deselect and then reselect the Shape Layer before its layer boundaries snap to the guides.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 16, 2012 at 12:35:37 am

> But mask vertices do snap to guides.

Yep. These are actually implemented in different parts of the code, so it's not a given that something that works for one works for the other. But the request has been made.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 16, 2012 at 12:51:00 am

[Todd Kopriva] "These are actually implemented in different parts of the code, so it's not a given that something that works for one works for the other."

Agreed Todd. However, I believe that the similarity between paths for Shape Layers and Masks; that they are used to define an area, would make most users believe that it's a bug rather than an intended feature. :-D

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 16, 2012 at 12:53:21 am

I'm not disagreeing. I'm just giving a peek behind the curtain---and I need to ask for this as a feature internally.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Paul Roper
on Nov 18, 2012 at 8:00:28 pm

Todd, you are a STAR! (Even if your points don't always snap...!!)

"I'll go down the hall and check with the engineer responsible for this part of the code and check"

This is one of the reasons I LOVE After Effects*...try getting this kind of response from Apple!

*Although CS6 does crash occasionally, which almost never happened with previous versions.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 19, 2012 at 7:01:42 pm

> *Although CS6 does crash occasionally, which almost never happened with previous versions.

Keep submitting those bug reports so that we can find and fix what's causing that.

And make sure that you've installed the latest updates. They fix a lot of problems.

> Todd, you are a STAR!

Thanks, but I'm just doing my job.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 14, 2013 at 6:59:01 pm

The After Effects CC (12.2) update adds some snapping improvements:

After Effects CC (12.2) adds shape layer paths, bounding boxes for shapes within shape layers, cameras, and lights to the list of items that you can snap together by dragging in the Composition panel.

When you click near a shape layer path, After Effects will use a point on that path that is nearest to where you clicked as the snapping point, very much as with masks.

You can snap a shape in one shape layer to a shape in another shape layer, but you can’t snap shapes within one shape layer to one another. If you need to snap two shapes together, they must be in separate shape layers.

One quick and useful trick is to snap a light layer to a camera layer, so that you can effectively “look through” a light or simply illuminate wherever your camera is pointing.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]