ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

volumetric cigarette smoke which can be affected by moving AE lights

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Dregervolumetric cigarette smoke which can be affected by moving AE lights
by on Nov 14, 2012 at 7:31:29 am

Looking for any method or plugin which will create volumetric slow sexy cigarette smoke which can be affected by AE lights or internal plugin lights.
any ideas?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: volumetric cigarette smoke which can be affected by moving AE lights
by on Nov 14, 2012 at 4:15:22 pm

The best place to achieve this is in a 3D package. The particle systems which come with AE, and even third party plugins, are based on particles - of course smoke is, as well, but the particles in cigarette smoke are so tiny as to appear as a continuous stream, slow moving, and wavy. You might be able to fake it by using thin vertical shapes, then animating a distortion map. In this way, the shape would take AE lights just fine. You wouldn't, however, have any real 3D volume.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: volumetric cigarette smoke which can be affected by moving AE lights
by on Nov 14, 2012 at 9:56:27 pm

The only thing that comes close would be Trapcodes particular 2.0. You can use AE's lights and it has some shadowing features within the plugin also.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Christopher DregerRe: volumetric cigarette smoke which can be affected by moving AE lights
by on Nov 14, 2012 at 11:52:40 pm

Thanks. I have tried this in Trapcode and I get some good smoke, but AfterEffect's lights don't affect it as a 3D form.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: volumetric cigarette smoke which can be affected by moving AE lights
by on Nov 15, 2012 at 1:39:33 am

[Christopher Dreger] "Thanks. I have tried this in Trapcode and I get some good smoke, but AfterEffect's lights don't affect it as a 3D form."

The latest versions of Particular do allow you to light the particles with standard AE lights and even cast shadows. With older versions of particular I believe you could use the 'Smoke' particle type and have shadows.

These operations are not volumetric in the classic sense but it's usually a good enough approximation and it's faster than trying to do it in a 3D package :)

Check under the "Shading" section if you have Particular 2.0 or later. I'd read up on it a bit online as well.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: volumetric cigarette smoke which can be affected by moving AE lights
by on Nov 15, 2012 at 2:02:41 am

Redgiant lets you download trial versions of their products. You might want to check out the new version of Particular and see if it's new capabilities will work for you.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: volumetric cigarette smoke which can be affected by moving AE lights
by on Nov 15, 2012 at 2:03:31 pm

Here's what I did for cigarette smoke recently -

. This was done with a single layer of Particular. If you wanted it to move slower, the Physics Time property provides a quick fix. For a more volumetric look, 2-3 instances of Particular should help.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Scott CarterRe: volumetric cigarette smoke which can be affected by moving AE lights
by on Nov 15, 2012 at 4:03:51 pm

Thats some kick ass tracking! Great work Roland!

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: volumetric cigarette smoke which can be affected by moving AE lights
by on Nov 16, 2012 at 9:03:49 am

Meh!?!? I actually thought my guitar-ing was a whole lot better than my tracking!!! :-P

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]