ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Retangular Shatter Effect in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris ComleyRetangular Shatter Effect in AE
by on Nov 13, 2012 at 10:11:52 pm

Hello everyone.

I'm creating an animation where text zooms in from behind the camera and slams into basketball court. I would like the court to break and crack behind where the text lands.

I've been able to achieve basically what I want using the shatter effect. BUT... I've only been able to use the shatter effect with the force shape being round.

Naturally a round hole in a floor doesn't look like it came from a long rectangular piece of text slamming into it.

So my question, is there any way to change the shape of the force within the After Effects Shatter effect?

Or does anyone know of any other shatter plugins that I could use to get this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: Retangular Shatter Effect in AE
by on Nov 13, 2012 at 10:42:21 pm

Combine the ideas in these 2 tutorials as you see fit.
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/procedural_crumble/

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/fracture_design/

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: Retangular Shatter Effect in AE
by on Nov 13, 2012 at 10:43:01 pm

^^^^ I think the procedural crumble tutorial is what you are looking for.

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

Chris ComleyRe: Retangular Shatter Effect in AE
by on Nov 14, 2012 at 4:57:16 am

I appreciate the response and pointing me to those videos. They will help me make what I want look more realistic, but they're not what I'm really looking for.

I'm not currently at work, so I can't show you an exact screenshot, but I quickly made this at home.

Pretend that's a basketball court. I want the text to fly down and hit the basketball court (which is the easy part) and then I want to be able to shatter the court just like above, but more realistic. As you can see, it looks more like the "POW" box from a comic book or something.

I watched the Procedural Crumble tutorial, but all that's gonna show me is how to crumble out the text. I technically need to "crumble" out a portion of the background and have it look real instead of comic-book-ish.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Retangular Shatter Effect in AE
by on Nov 14, 2012 at 6:46:55 am

[Chris Comley] "I watched the Procedural Crumble tutorial, but all that's gonna show me is how to crumble out the text. I technically need to "crumble" out a portion of the background and have it look real instead of comic-book-ish."

You can't follow the tutorial precisely step-by-step if you want a slightly different result than the demo video -- you need to customize it to your specific needs. In this case, you'll need to create the shape you want crumbled out and use that as a source in the procedural crumble instead of the text layer.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris ComleyRe: Retangular Shatter Effect in AE
by on Nov 14, 2012 at 6:52:10 am

I kind of have it set up like that already, just in a different way. But in the end, it's the same effect.

The problem is, I can't create the cut out shape, I need After Effects to create it.

Sadly, I'm not that good with creating things manually so I'm not able to create a shape that looks natural. As you can see above, the best I can do is the "comic-bookish" look.

The shatter effect with the shape set to glass is perfect. Just I need the force to be square and not circular.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Retangular Shatter Effect in AE
by on Nov 14, 2012 at 7:07:09 am

[Chris Comley] "The problem is, I can't create the cut out shape, I need After Effects to create it... The shatter effect with the shape set to glass is perfect. Just I need the force to be square and not circular."

How about creating a solid or shape the size you need, then mucking it up with Roughen Edges [link]?

Alternate suggestions: use only the first couple frames of Shatter to crack the floor instead of shattering it outright (or use Advanced Lightning to create cracks) in combination with some dust elements (either stock image or particle system) when the text lands on the floor.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]