ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Arrange pixels by color?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen EdwardsArrange pixels by color?
by on Nov 13, 2012 at 7:18:05 pm

Hello all!

I've got an odd task at hand and I'm having a hard time solving it.

Can anyone think of a way to re-arrange the pixels of an image based on color? I've got a two color render and I'm looking for a way to re-arrange the image so that red pixels get pushed towards the bottom of the screen and blue pixels get pushed towards the top.

Any advice or tips would be very helpful! I know it will make for a strange image- call it abstract art.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Arrange pixels by color?
by on Nov 13, 2012 at 7:30:23 pm

With a bit of manipulation, you could use the color layer as a displacement map [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Stephen EdwardsRe: Arrange pixels by color?
by on Nov 13, 2012 at 7:49:21 pm

Thanks- I was think of something along those lines, but I can't seem to get it working. Any idea on how to set that up?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Arrange pixels by color?
by on Nov 13, 2012 at 11:20:07 pm

[Stephen Edwards] "Thanks- I was think of something along those lines, but I can't seem to get it working. Any idea on how to set that up?"

The displacement map effect works by taking the RGB values from the pixels in a separate displacement map layer and using them to push the corresponding pixels in the effect's source around -- up and down, left and right. A 50% gray value results in no change; full black displaces the pixel the maximum distance one way and full white displaces the pixel the maximum distance the other way.

With that in mind, we need to generate a nice black and white matte from your image to use as the map for vertical displacement.

Any way you can think of to get from red/blue to black/white should work nicely. You could muck about with the Channel Combiner, Curves, etc., on multiple copies of your footage with different blend modes within a precomp, but I'll bet you could get a pretty decent result straight away simply using the Linear Color Key [link] (set to output matte, using chroma instead of RGB for processing).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]