ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

80gb!!! the size of a video file I just rendered out....what am I doing wrong?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Austin80gb!!! the size of a video file I just rendered out....what am I doing wrong?
by on Nov 13, 2012 at 11:57:30 am

Hey Everyone,

I'm attempting to render out a 2 hour long radio show which has a short 10 second animated intro but the rest is one single .jpg image which doesn't move for the rest of the duration with a .wav audio file playing underneath. It took 12 hours to render and came out at 80gb but I can't understand why it is so much when there is no movement in the video ?

The settings I attempted to export were:
1920 x 1080
Format: Quicktime
Codec: H.264
Quality: 100%
Audio: left at 48khz 16 bit stereo

I had the intention of rendering it out like this and then compressing it through MPEG Streamclip but did not think it would render this large. Is it better to reduce quality of both the visuals and audio a bit direct from AE first or render in full and then compress ?

Any ideas where I'm going wrong..

Thanks alot for your help,

Sam

Return to posts index

Nils SchildhauerRe: 80gb!!! the size of a video file I just rendered out....what am I doing wrong?
by on Nov 13, 2012 at 2:00:31 pm

Hi Sam,

generally if you only need ten seconds of animation what I would do is render those with After Effects, and then composit that clip with the jpg Image in a Premiere Pro sequence. I'm not sure how effective After Effects handles still images...

But to answer your question with another question (and an important one!): What Bitrate settings did you use? I suspect they were way too high - that would explain the file size! ;)

Nils

Adobe Master Collection CS6 on Windows 7 at work and CS 5.5 on OS X at home.
Working on a regular basis with Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition and Photoshop.

Return to posts index

Sam AustinRe: 80gb!!! the size of a video file I just rendered out....what am I doing wrong?
by on Nov 13, 2012 at 6:50:17 pm

Hey Nils,

Firstly thank you for your quick reply, really is appreciated

Yeah that's definitely a logical way of doing it, I will look at that.

I don't actually have the file to hand right now but looking at two recent renders one has a bit rate of 80,000 and another at 180,000 lol! As the option to limit it was a bit buried I've never really played around with it. Could you suggest what I should limit it to and whether the limit should vary for say a youtube upload vs a file to be burned to dvd perhaps ?

Thanks again for your help,

Sam

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: 80gb!!! the size of a video file I just rendered out....what am I doing wrong?
by on Nov 13, 2012 at 11:55:48 pm

See these FAQ entries:
FAQ: Why is my output file huge...?
FAQ: What is the best format for rendering and exporting from After Effects...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]