ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Blending modes Ae vs. Ps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matias Hansen
Blending modes Ae vs. Ps
on Nov 12, 2012 at 4:05:30 pm

Hi there

After hours of searching I gotta take this to the forum! I have had this problem before, but now I can't take it anymore... What is up with Photoshop Blending Modes and After Effects blending modes?

I made a styleframe in Photoshop. Its a black and white image, set to Hard Light, above a blue solid - And then the same b&w image at the top - set to hard light again - to add some more contrast.

But when I import this sucker into After effects - yeah well, here is how it looks

0_blendproblem.png

I hope you guys can help with some answers!

(And thx for heads up on the broken link)

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Blending modes Ae vs. Ps
on Nov 12, 2012 at 4:21:12 pm

Your image link doesn't work here. You can upload one directly to the COW.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Matias Hansen
on Nov 12, 2012 at 4:26:13 pm

Well - now I actually found the way to make it look like my Photoshop styleframe - Now the question is - Is it a good idea?

I set the working space to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and checked Linearize Working Space.

Any idea how this will impact anything?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 12, 2012 at 6:09:31 pm

To quote many a computer on Star Trek, "insufficient data". With the information we know about your situation, it's impossible to tell.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matias Hansen
on Nov 12, 2012 at 6:31:00 pm

Ok.

What I am worried about is:

Adobe says it is not wise to use "Linearize Working Space" when working at 8 bpc. But the video I am working on is for the web where I know 8 bpc is standard. But if It doesn't affect anything visually in my movie - does it matter?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 12, 2012 at 6:51:32 pm

That particular adjustment is more for 32-bit work than anything else. Don't fool with it unless you're using a RED camera shooting at 4k or DSLR images recorded in camera RAW.

ANYTHING you render for delivery for the web will be 8-bit; it's inherent in the video codecs used. But even so, working at 32-bit can help make things like glows and levels adjustments look nicer.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matias Hansen
on Nov 12, 2012 at 7:15:46 pm

Ok.

I'll leave it. Thank you for the response

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 12, 2012 at 7:47:27 pm

[Matias Hansen] "Ok. I'll leave it. Thank you for the response"

You are free to work in higher bit depths (16bpc or 32bpc), even with 8bpc sources and destinations -- and this is often a good idea that will get you more precise results. Ae will dither your 16b or 32b work as necessary upon render to an 8b format, preserving the look (but not the data).

Working in 16b is pretty much just like working in 8b, but it is more precise (so it will have fewer rounding errors which lead to banding or posterization). Aside from this difference in precision, they are visually interchangeable. You could start in 8b and switch to 16b (or vice versa) without really impacting your work.

Working in 32b floating point is completely different -- values brighter than white and darker than black are preserved. As Dave pointed out, this is especially noticeable on blurs and glows, but it also affects blending operations significantly. Because of this huge difference in calculations, 32b and 16b/8b are not interchangeable, so if you change depths you may have to also change blurs, glows, blends, etc.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 12, 2012 at 8:57:47 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "working at 32-bit can help make things like glows and levels adjustments look nicer."
Add Blurs and Compound Effects (with control layers that use luminance levels) to the list.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Nov 12, 2012 at 8:51:26 pm

[Matias Hansen] "Well - now I actually found the way to make it look like my Photoshop styleframe - Now the question is - Is it a good idea?

I set the working space to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and checked Linearize Working Space.
"

I wouldn't linearize the working space unless you know what you're doing. However, the "Blend Colors Using 1.0 Gamma" setting should do essentially the same thing without complicating your work as much.

This new information makes me curious about your Photoshop document settings. Does the PSD have an assigned color space? Are you viewing with any Proof Colors? Have you messed with the Advanced Color Settings in Photoshop (there is a "Blend RGB Colors Using Gamma" setting in there)?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Matias Hansen
on Nov 12, 2012 at 9:38:53 pm

Hi Darby

I Don't know what I'm doing - regarding the Linearize Working Space. And as I said, I actually
never worked with the color settings i AE (or Ps for that sake).

But I'll take a look at it and return!

Return to posts index

Matias Hansen
on Nov 12, 2012 at 9:53:04 pm

[Darby Edelen] " the "Blend Colors Using 1.0 Gamma" setting should do essentially the same thing without complicating your work as much."

Hey Again

Well this worked perfectly - so thank you for that:) When I also set the Ae Color setting to sRGB IEC61966 which my Ps document also is set to.

I Tried to check the "Blend RGB Colors Using Gamma" in the Ps document - but that didn't change anything when importing to Ae - I still have to change the settings there.

thx again

/Matias

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]