ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Blending, matting or masking?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sholeh AtashzadBlending, matting or masking?
by on Nov 12, 2012 at 5:09:08 am


I am looking for a technique in post-production where I do not know the name of the technique and I am not sure in which programs you can create it:

I have seen it in photography and also in an intro for James Bond's 'You Only Live Twice'.

The technique I am looking for starts from the minute 1 . We see a woman's silhouette moving and her body is see-through in which we see another moving image.
What is this technique called and how and in which programs can I create it?

As far as I was told I can do this in Adobe After Effects and also in Final Cut Pro with the help of Blue/Green screen.

Please let me know about all possible methods.

Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Blending Technique?
by on Nov 12, 2012 at 5:48:23 am

The image of the woman is being used as a matte for the other footage. You need to research mattes. Both After Effects and Final Cut can use mattes.

Search the tutorials here and on the web. Here is one that may help you understand the technique:

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Blending Technique?
by on Nov 13, 2012 at 4:33:27 am

The basic information on track mattes in After Effects is here.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Sholeh AtashzadRe: Blending Technique?
by on Nov 14, 2012 at 3:12:31 am

Dear Ridley and Todd thanx a lot for your help.

I am hoping to have a result like in the photo that I share here below:

BUT in video! I would like to get the same effect in moving images.
So you think I should use mattes?

I was also told to use blue/green screen...

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Blending Technique?
by on Nov 19, 2012 at 12:17:30 am

Blue and green screen are used to produce a chroma key which is a matte for video.

Mattes are one method of controlling transparency in video. Another method is masking or rotoscoping the video.

Think of transparency as a window through which you can see whatever image/video (or portion of an image or video) you wish to place there.

Green screen is used during production or shooting the video, chroma keying (of keying for short) is used in post production.

In other words you want to isolate a portion of your video and therefor you shoot it against a green screen to apply a chroma key in post production and remove the green to make a matte for the footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 All Rights Reserved