ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Will this MacBook Pro work for Adobe Master Collection?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Garrett KliewerWill this MacBook Pro work for Adobe Master Collection?
by on Nov 11, 2012 at 8:58:08 pm

Wasn't sure where I should post this question.

Pardon my computer illiteracy, but I'm in the market for a refurbished MacBook Pro that will be able to run my Adobe CS5 Master Collection. I will mostly being using it mostly to edit video and creating motion graphics. What are the bare minimum when it comes to hardware? Will this 2009 refurbished MacBook Pro be enough?

17" MacBook Pro MC226LL/A

Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
1TB SATA Hard Drive
8x DL SuperDrive
17" LED LCD - 1920x1200
512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

I will be purchasing a new computer within the next 48 hours since my 5 year old MacBook Pro has finally called it quits.

Also, could anyone recommend a reliable refurbished mac seller?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: Will this MacBook Pro work for Adobe Master Collection?
by on Nov 11, 2012 at 10:15:56 pm

It's dubious. I have a 2006-07 MBP with 2gigs of RAM and a 2.33mHz processor and it's barely passable for work in the field. I rely on my desktop for heavy lifting. I'm usually editing 1080p footage of various codecs.

You'll get better performance if you use an intermediate codec like ProRes, Avid DNxHD, or GoPro Cineform.

The extra RAM will help with After Effects predominately, but I wouldn't expect blazing speeds on export. I would also consider moving to CS6 because of the Global Cache, I think it'll make the best of your setup because you can avoid re-rendering frames in After Effects as often.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Angelo Lorenzo

Love my answer? Do me a huge favor and check out my Kickstarter project The Librarian, starring Jennie Garth of Beverly Hills 90210.

Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Will this MacBook Pro work for Adobe Master Collection?
by on Nov 12, 2012 at 12:29:45 am

I'd recommend against it. The Core 2 Duo is not really up to the task. You'd be better off buying a refurbished machine directly from Apple.

If you're dead set on a laptop, look for an i7, they're quad core and you can get one for around $1000.

Return to posts index

Garrett KliewerRe: Will this MacBook Pro work for Adobe Master Collection?
by on Nov 12, 2012 at 12:35:16 am

Yeah, I just went ahead and bought a refurbished MacBook Pro 2.6 gHz i7 directly from Apple. Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]