ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS6 Global Performance Cache with Expressions is making projects unusable

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Spagnoli
CS6 Global Performance Cache with Expressions is making projects unusable
on Nov 8, 2012 at 11:33:51 pm

Hey folks,

The Global Performance Cache is great for 'dumb' (no Expressions) projects. But Expressions are KILLING my projects. I have projects that work great in CS5 and 5.5 but are almost unusable in cs6 since it is constantly running expressions while it tries and preload frames into the ram.

Is there a new way of writting expression in CS6? All I'm trying to do is auto size layers and masks based on the size of a text box. Or does anyone know if I can turn off the Global Performance Cache?

Thanks!!

-Dan

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: CS6 Autorendering with Expressions is making projects unusable
on Nov 9, 2012 at 4:34:23 am

[Daniel Spagnoli] "Or does anyone know if I can turn off this auto rendering?"

What do you mean by auto-rendering?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Daniel Spagnoli
Re: CS6 Global Performance Cache with Expressions is making projects unusable
on Nov 9, 2012 at 6:38:22 am

Thanks for the response.

Since using CS6 I've noticed the green "ram precache" bar fills up whenever it can. I believe this is the new Global Performance Cache feature. Problem seems to be when it does this, it runs expressions constantly, leading to sluggish performance.

that's just my theory, I could be totally wrong.

The underlying problem is that Projects that have expressions that ran fine in CS5 and 5.5 are now sluggish and unresponsive in CS6. I'm using an octo-core Xeon mac pro so i don't think it is the computer. And the bar is staying green, so its not writing to a disk cache.

thanks again for the help

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Nov 9, 2012 at 3:29:06 pm

[Daniel Spagnoli] "Since using CS6 I've noticed the green "ram precache" bar fills up whenever it can. I believe this is the new Global Performance Cache feature. Problem seems to be when it does this, it runs expressions constantly, leading to sluggish performance."

Constantly is hopefully the wrong word here :) It should evaluate them across the timeline when they are edited or their return value changes based on changing input variables. Even then I'm not sure if AE is doing a full evaluation of the expression or comparing the input variables to the expression or something else. If you're seeing expressions run "constantly" then that sounds like a problem or a bug.

What kind of expressions are you using?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Daniel Spagnoli
on Nov 9, 2012 at 3:53:46 pm

Your definition of constant is right, it just feels like it does the entire timeline worth of processing per letter change, so it feels like it never stops :-p.

The expressions I'm using are basic value raitio swaps (if this object is X big, make this object Y big) on 3 objects using the color and slider FX controls.

I didn't even think to check before, but just did and i'm using 11.0.1.12 apparently 11.0.2 addresses some expression bugs, let me try that first and report back.

Return to posts index

Daniel Spagnoli
on Nov 9, 2012 at 5:51:08 pm

installed the 11.2 update. slight performance improvement but still much slower than cs5.5

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Nov 10, 2012 at 1:47:59 am

[Daniel Spagnoli] "Your definition of constant is right, it just feels like it does the entire timeline worth of processing per letter change, so it feels like it never stops :-p."

Per letter change. Are you seeing it try to update while you're editing expressions? That's not normal.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 10, 2012 at 3:13:29 am

Try disabling Show Cache Indicators (via drop-down menu, top-right of Timeline Panel) to see if you obtain any performance gains.

In your reply, it'll be good to have a look at the Expressions too.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Daniel Spagnoli
on Nov 13, 2012 at 9:03:21 pm

@Roland R. Kahlenberg
Turning off the indicators alleviated the problem. while still a bit slower than CS5, its mostly normal, thanks!

@darby Edelen
by "per letter" I meant a text layer on the stage, tied to an expression.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 14, 2012 at 3:09:56 am

Hi Daniel, thanks for the update. I've always believed that if folks have the time to type a Q, they should also have the time to report their outcome - good or bad ones.

FWIW, earlier versions of AE CS6 had similar issues (slow and Expression error messages) with Expressions that were looking at/for certain data. These were alleviated by switching off Cache Indicators. Later versions of AE AFAIK were supposed to solve such issue(s).

It'll be doubly good if you can send in your AEP (even without media assets) and the Expressions to the AE Team via the the form here. It'll help ensure a more robust and speedy AE for all of us.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]