ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I turn a path into a graphic?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt DragovitsHow do I turn a path into a graphic?
by on Nov 7, 2012 at 4:11:56 pm

I have a path that I've drawn for an arrow to follow and I would like to turn that same path into a graphic. I tried redrawing the path and then applying the "generate" "stroke" on it but it doesn't seem to do anything. Am I missing something or is there some other way to draw an nice path with bezier handles in AE? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: How do I turn a path into a graphic?
by on Nov 7, 2012 at 4:35:10 pm

Matt

If you have created a Shape Layer, then Stroke Effect won't work because it works with Mask Path only.

Create the Arrow Shape on a Solid Layer using Pen Tool and then it will work fine.

Also, You can enable shape layer Stroke Property by twirling down the Contents property in Shape Layer.

Make sure you Stroke is Enabled. Select the shape layer and there will be an option for stroke above viewer window.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: How do I turn a path into a graphic?
by on Nov 7, 2012 at 6:59:03 pm

[Matt Dragovits] "I have a path that I've drawn for an arrow to follow and I would like to turn that same path into a graphic. I tried redrawing the path and then applying the "generate" "stroke" on it but it doesn't seem to do anything."

It sounds like the path you're talking about is a motion path (position keyframes). If that's the case you can select all of those position keyframes, copy them, create a new solid layer the size of your composition, add a mask to this solid and paste those keyframes with the Mask Path property selected. This should give you a Mask Path that precisely follows the motion path. You can then apply the Generate > Stroke effect to that layer.

Alternatively you can create a new shape layer and paste the position keyframes to a Path property (Paths can be added using the twirl down 'Add' menu to the right of the layer's 'Contents' group). Add a stroke and a trim paths as well to be able to reveal the stroke. The shape layer's path will be offset from the original motion path unless you set the shape layer's position property to [0,0].

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Matt DragovitsRe: How do I turn a path into a graphic?
by on Nov 15, 2012 at 3:43:16 am

Sorry for the delay in my response. Thanks for your help.

Dragzz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]