ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

cs5 vs cs6 render speed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Pozzercs5 vs cs6 render speed
by on Nov 7, 2012 at 1:53:34 pm

so i had to rerender some stuff for a client yesterday. the original work was done in cs5, but i had 6 going then so i figured ill just render in 6.

opened the project, set it going and it was going realy slow. i thought i dont remember it taking this long originally. so i did a test of rendering the same 10 frames in 5 and 6. it was a pretty large project with lots of 1920 frame sequences, lens blur plugin, optical flares, expressions, etc.

anyway, maybe it was my imagination. cs5 rendered with 68% ram usage, in 4:51 min. 6 did it with 59% ram usage in 4:33 min. i made sure the memory/multiprocessor settings were the same, so it should be a pretty fair test. i also purged the cs5 cache after rendering just incase.

anyway, just wondering if anyone else has done any testing of 5 vs 6 render speeds? are they significantly better? the same? seems like a small increase in speed, but not significant. 20 seconds in 5 min would only save you 10 min out over a 2 hr render (estimate, my math sucks).

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: cs5 vs cs6 render speed
by on Nov 7, 2012 at 3:10:43 pm

I think a better test would be one where you render after you worked a bit on the project in CS6 and you have some cached layers. CS6 will make use of that and your final render will be much faster.

http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/global-performance-cache.html

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Aaron PozzerRe: cs5 vs cs6 render speed
by on Nov 7, 2012 at 4:29:48 pm

dunno, that seems like a cheat. if you just wanna compare apples to apples performance, i think it makes more sense to just load up the project and go for it. its nice to have the benefit in 6 if stuff is cached, but thats not always the situation when rendering.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]