ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

cs5 vs cs6 render speed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Pozzercs5 vs cs6 render speed
by on Nov 7, 2012 at 1:53:34 pm

so i had to rerender some stuff for a client yesterday. the original work was done in cs5, but i had 6 going then so i figured ill just render in 6.

opened the project, set it going and it was going realy slow. i thought i dont remember it taking this long originally. so i did a test of rendering the same 10 frames in 5 and 6. it was a pretty large project with lots of 1920 frame sequences, lens blur plugin, optical flares, expressions, etc.

anyway, maybe it was my imagination. cs5 rendered with 68% ram usage, in 4:51 min. 6 did it with 59% ram usage in 4:33 min. i made sure the memory/multiprocessor settings were the same, so it should be a pretty fair test. i also purged the cs5 cache after rendering just incase.

anyway, just wondering if anyone else has done any testing of 5 vs 6 render speeds? are they significantly better? the same? seems like a small increase in speed, but not significant. 20 seconds in 5 min would only save you 10 min out over a 2 hr render (estimate, my math sucks).

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: cs5 vs cs6 render speed
by on Nov 7, 2012 at 3:10:43 pm

I think a better test would be one where you render after you worked a bit on the project in CS6 and you have some cached layers. CS6 will make use of that and your final render will be much faster.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Aaron PozzerRe: cs5 vs cs6 render speed
by on Nov 7, 2012 at 4:29:48 pm

dunno, that seems like a cheat. if you just wanna compare apples to apples performance, i think it makes more sense to just load up the project and go for it. its nice to have the benefit in 6 if stuff is cached, but thats not always the situation when rendering.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved