ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Resizing a movie

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver de MorasséResizing a movie
by on Nov 7, 2012 at 10:12:38 am

Hi there,

We have shot some green screen footage in HD (1920x1080). Our final output for the web needs to be a flash file 600x400.

What's the best way of resizing my footge in AE?

1. Creating a custom composition of the correct size (600x400) and then scaling down my footage under the transform menu?

2. Creating a composition with a larger size 1200x800. Then in my rendering "Output Module Main Options", resize to 600x400 (locking the aspect ratio).

3. Creating a composition with a larger size 1200x800. Then in my rendering "Render Settings", choose a resolution of "Half".

... or does it not really matter how? Thanks for any tips.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Resizing a movie
by on Nov 7, 2012 at 10:18:51 am

My workflow in situations like this:
Do all keing and fx at footage native resolution (1920x1080 in your case) and resize in the Output. If the aspect ratio of the frame is different in the final requirements I may use Crop in the Output or just create a comp with the required final size, bring my initial comp in and scale to fit in (maybe re-positioning if there's a need). With this method there's no need to re-size in the Output settings.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Oliver de MorasséRe: Resizing a movie
by on Nov 7, 2012 at 11:03:27 am

Thanks! Just for clarification... You mention 2 different ways - the 1st similar to my point 2, however using the native resolution and then resizing/cropping in output. The 2nd is similar to my point 1, where I create a comp of the correct settings and scale to fit.

Can any of these options lead to a reduced quality in output? Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Resizing a movie
by on Nov 7, 2012 at 11:51:10 am

Both will give you the best quality for the final result. The only way to loose quality is if you resized your footage, render it, then do the keying/fx and then render again at small resolution. As long as you do all your work at the best possible resolution before scaling down, you get the best possible result.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]