ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Using same adjustment layer in several comps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vegard MidjoUsing same adjustment layer in several comps
by on Nov 6, 2012 at 11:16:25 am

I'm working on several illustrations in After Effects that shall have the same graphical look. And when i adjust some colors in one comp, i want the other comps to get the same adjustment automatically.

Is it possible to use the same adjustment layer in several comps, and then when i add an effect to that adj-layer in one comp, it also adds to the other comps?
I cannot get that to work. The adjustmentlayers in the project panel have no effects locked to them. And if i precompose an adjustmentlayer, it doesn't send the effects through below the pre-comp, even if i tick the "adjustmentlayer-effect" on that pre-comp layer.

What i want is something like "instance" as compared to "copy" in 3ds max.
Or as in Nuke where you can run several comps through the same node, so they all get the same effect treatment.

Any solution to this? It should be very useful, so i don't see why AE shouldn't have something like this.

Return to posts index

Jos VermeulenRe: Using same adjustment layer in several comps
by on Nov 6, 2012 at 12:03:29 pm

I do not have the answer but like to know it too.
I also just made an graphic project for a tvnetwork and this would have been handy!
AE has some 'nodes' but they do not work the same as nuke.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Using same adjustment layer in several comps
by on Nov 6, 2012 at 12:30:41 pm

You'll have to designate one of the comps to be a 'master comp' from which you control all the other effects applied to the adjustment layer.

To get this to work, you'll need to know how to create very basic Expressions to link properties across two comps.

You really only need to create an instance of a master and a slave comp. Then simple copy the adjustment layer from the slave comp into other slave comps as and when required.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Using same adjustment layer in several comps
by on Nov 6, 2012 at 1:28:24 pm

Check out Fran├žois Tarlier's ft-Effect Instance script [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Using same adjustment layer in several comps
by on Nov 6, 2012 at 4:07:42 pm

Put the adjustment layers in a pre-comp and collapse the transformations anywhere you use it.

It can be difficult to change the effect parameters on the adjustment layers without any layers inside the precomp so I usually copy in a few video layers under the adjustment layers and set them as guide layers. This way you'll be able to see the effect of the adjustment layers in the precomp and the guide layers will not interfere with the precomp's usage elsewhere.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved