ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS6 Lockup w/ 64GB of ram

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mihai wilson
AE CS6 Lockup w/ 64GB of ram
on Nov 6, 2012 at 3:05:27 am

Hi, I just upgraded from 32 to 64 GB of ram and have been having constant lockups when using multicore rendering, mostly when using the BGrender script from AEscripts.

I havent changed my multicore settings from when I had 32 (3gb per proc, only use 3 procs), and I have tested the ram (and even swapped out ram from another machine) to ensure it is not at fault.

I recall reading about a memory bug in CS5.5, does anyone have any words of advice? Anyone working CS6 with 64GB without issues?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: AE CS6 Lockup w/ 64GB of ram
on Nov 6, 2012 at 1:23:40 pm

BG Renderer does not yet list CS6 compatibility.

Do you still have these hangs rendering normally in the UI? Are you using any GPU-related features in CS6?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

mihai wilson
on Nov 9, 2012 at 7:14:28 am

I have yet to find any pattern, but I did get some hangs even when I wasn't using AE. I since swapped out the new ram I bought for a different set of 32 that matches the make and model of my current ram, and pow -- same issues. Seems like if I go over 32GB the system becomes unstable. I forgot to mention I am using a Mac pro 12 core. Perhaps it is an issue with that? Anyone running 64gb in one of these machines without a hitch?

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Nov 6, 2012 at 2:46:04 pm

I am running 64GB on my Z820 with no problems whatsoever. I dont run BGRender so that may be the culprit.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

mihai wilson
on Nov 13, 2012 at 7:31:34 am

Thanks Tom, yeah at first I thought that wasn't it, but now I think I'm seeing a pattern. Looks like Bgrenderer may not be playing nice with cs6.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Nov 13, 2012 at 2:48:59 pm

Also with programs like Element 3D, I have to turn off Multi Processiong or it seems to hang.

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 14, 2012 at 6:30:42 am

[Tom Daigon] "Also with programs like Element 3D, I have to turn off Multi Processiong or it seems to hang."

For Element 3D, each instance of the renderer has to communicate separately with the GPU. Running lots of instances is a good way of completely saturating resources and preventing a render from ever beginning.

I have noticed that I can crank down (but do not have to turn off) the multiprocessing settings with Element 3D. Try running between 2 and 4 CPUs and see if it works faster than running with MP off entirely.

I suspect there may be a VRAM penalty for multiprocessing with Element 3D (my graphics card has oodles of VRAM, so I'm not sure), so scene complexity may factor in to the degree to which you may employ multiprocessing.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Nov 14, 2012 at 2:43:11 pm

I will give it a try Walter. If not, no worries. With MP off it flies with all 32 hyper threads active.

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

mihai wilson
on Nov 14, 2012 at 4:18:08 pm

I'm not using Element, but thanks for pointing that out Walter -- good to know, and also perhaps my issues stem from another plugin I am using. Just wanted to update and say that I am getting these same hard system hangs using the regular foreground renderer as well. It doesn't seem to be tied to the 64GB after all, as I get it with 32 installed as well. If I give any more than 3 processors to MP in AE its pretty much guaranteed I will lock up. I've got the ram and processors to support much more than that, so I'm not sure what the issue is. When I am out of deadline mode I plan to do some tests and see if maybe it is a plugin giving me this greif, although I don't see a pattern right now...

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Nov 14, 2012 at 5:08:28 pm

When you get time, running a memory test might be a good thing to do.

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

mihai wilson
on Nov 14, 2012 at 5:53:41 pm

Thanks Tom, I did manage to squeeze in one iteration of memtest and it came up clean -- but I agree a more lengthy one is probably in order. Although I am running two separate mac pros of the same specs and am seeing similar behavior on both.

Return to posts index

mihai wilson
on Nov 17, 2012 at 5:44:47 am

Still haven't had time to run tests -- but I found today that as long as I stay at 32 GB I don't have issues.

I've also limited AE to only 2 cores -- seems like on my comps any more than that and my non-raid setup chokes itself to death.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]