ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

removing pulldown in a mystery video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
removing pulldown in a mystery video
on Nov 5, 2012 at 2:02:03 am

I'm trying to work with a YouTube clip for an in-house rip-o-matic that is 23.98. It has the ghosted "combination" frames that I associate with pull-down in a film transfer. (my edit is 29.9) I know little about it provenance except it was a splash or tease video for a PS3 game, grabbed off the display in Europe. It's really great so I'd like to go the extra yard to help it.

I tried to bring it into After Effects and Interpret it- just poke and hope, guessing field dominance and trying both "guess" buttons - but just get a beep an nothing happens. Is there anything else I could try or look into? Thanks in advance.

Paul

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: removing pulldown in a mystery video
on Nov 5, 2012 at 7:09:03 am

Can you post the link?

I'm thinking that it was originally a PAL 25fps upperfield interlaced, then recorded with a 23.976 progressive. I don't think there was a pulldown. I think when it got decimated to 23.976, it blew away the framerate, fields, and resolution.

I don't think there's enough data to recover the fields. Your best bet is to use reelsmart motion blur and set to -2.00 which will remove the blur.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Nov 5, 2012 at 7:37:21 am

I'm confused about some of the details. Is the source 29.97? If you're seeing ghosted frames that aren't made up of two distinct fields then it's pretty much hosed.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Nov 5, 2012 at 1:31:32 pm

Source is 23.98, (sources are a mixed bag) edit is 29.9

Is it possible to step through footage one field at a time in AE? I've tried to Google for an answer to no avail

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 5, 2012 at 2:10:52 pm

[Paul Dougherty] "Is it possible to step through footage one field at a time in AE? I've tried to Google for an answer to no avail"

Yes. Interpret the footage to separate fields, then double-click the footage to open it in a footage viewer. PageUp/PageDown will move a field at a time.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Nov 5, 2012 at 3:56:06 pm

With a 23.98 source if it ever had a pulldown someone has already tried to remove it. Maybe the pulldown was handled incorrectly early on (not uncommon) but removing a pulldown from a 23.98 source wouldn't make sense.

The ghosted frames could also be frame blending caused by a mismatch in the source and timeline frame rates. Do you see the ghosting in a media player (QuickTime)?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Nov 5, 2012 at 6:59:04 pm

I see the ghosted frames in the raw YouTube video. Maybe a dumb question but does YouTube even allow interlace in the YT processed videos that appear on their site?

-P

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 5, 2012 at 7:09:21 pm

I'm pretty sure everything on YouTube is progressive, but you're dealing with footage that is EXTREMELY iffy in terms of a consistent frame rate.

If Walter Soyka's suggestion in this thread doesn't work, I'd be tempted to track down the game in question and just replicate the shot. There's a good chance it would take less time to get the frame rate right than it would to repair it.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]