ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Precomp as mask, possible?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lou RuizPrecomp as mask, possible?
by on Nov 4, 2012 at 5:32:21 pm

Hello, I'm new here and come from a Flash background. I've been using and various tutorials on the internet to learn After Effects which is working out pretty well, although I've have a question that I can't find an answer to.

Is it possible to turn a precomp into a mask? In Flash you can mask a layer with a movieclip via ActionScript, so thought maybe there was something similar via expressions, perhaps.

I'd like to transition between scenes with a simple animation but not sure how to go about it. Any suggestions or links to information on how to would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Lou

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Precomp as mask, possible?
by on Nov 4, 2012 at 8:12:07 pm

Yes, create your animation in the precomp. For instance, in a precomp apply fractal noise to a layer, bring it to your main comp and change the track matte of your layer to "luma matte". You can use alpha/alpha inverted/luma inverted also.

If you don't see the track matte option, click near where it says "source name" and choose modes. Here's a tutorial covering some Track Matting

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Lou RuizRe: Precomp as mask, possible?
by on Nov 4, 2012 at 11:35:20 pm

Awesome! That worked! ...Thanks for the response. I look forward to becoming part of this community.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved