ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Beginner stuck: Using a template and trying to extend duration of video clip...won't work!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pap Prior
Beginner stuck: Using a template and trying to extend duration of video clip...won't work!
on Nov 3, 2012 at 6:44:17 pm

I bought a template from (oops didn't realize it was bad to put the name here....deleted...) (have used several in the past from different authors). It has a video layer that has some position changes and I've got my video plugged into the layer and displaying fine for the standard duration of the template.

However the template only lasts 160 frames and I want to continue my video past that so that the video itself completes fully (at the end of the template it's full screen so really it just needs to keep running).

I've tried changing the composition settings to make it longer, but what happens is that when I get to frame 161 (1 past the original template) the video screen goes blank.

I've extended the video bar on the timeline by dragging it. I see no opacity keyframes that fade it out, and if I put the same video into a separate layer it plays fine past frame 160, it's just when I put it into that predefined "video" layer.

Can anyone help me understand where I might be going wrong? There is obviously something I'm missing that causes a video clip to go blank, but I can't find it.

The author has not responded to my question and I'm under a deadline for the next few days.

advTHANKSance!

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: Beginner stuck: Using a template and trying to extend duration of video clip...won't work!
on Nov 3, 2012 at 8:09:00 pm

Pap

Can't say much without knowing the elements in your project file, but you can check the duration of each element in your project file not just you video.

The video appears blank means the elements which are there are shorter than the composition length.

When you download templates there are many "Shy" layers which are hidden and are necessary for animation. Just check if there is any and increase there duration according to the composition.

You may have to copy the layers and use it again just after the first one so that they will come into a loop.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: Beginner stuck: Using a template and trying to extend duration of video clip...won't work!
on Nov 3, 2012 at 8:10:23 pm

I'm not sure but if you select the layer and hit UU to reveal all property changes for that layer it might reveal the issue.

Return to posts index

Nevin Styre
on Nov 4, 2012 at 4:36:12 am

I might know your issue.

In your timeline click the "Toggle switches / modes" button at the bottom, then look under the TrkMat (Track Matte) column on your video layer, if it says anything but "none" then the video clip is being effected by the layer above it. If you click the dropdown box in the same TrkMat column on your video layer it should say the name of the layer in quotation marks, that is the layer that you also need to extend. If it is a template then the layer might be hidden so you may have to click the "shy" icon at the top of the timeline window to reveal it.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Nov 4, 2012 at 7:22:17 am

Here's another shot in the dark, since we do not know details about how the template is built:
If the layer where you insert your video is a pre-comp, you may need to open that pre-comp and extend the duration to match the length of your video. Then go back in the main comp and drag the end of the video precomp layer to extend it for the full length of the video inside.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]