ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

most efficient way to change photoshop layer names for AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ben wolfinsohnmost efficient way to change photoshop layer names for AE
by on Nov 1, 2012 at 7:05:35 am

if i need to change a lot of photoshop layer names, is there a way to do it that will not force me to have to re link every one of those layers in AE manually? I have about 100 layers in the same photoshop file and some of the layers have the same name, so wanted to change the layer names without killing my AE project that uses those files. any idea of most the most efficient way to do that is?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: most efficient way to change photoshop layer names for AE
by on Nov 1, 2012 at 1:35:07 pm

The most efficient way is to name the Photoshop layers in Photoshop, before they get to AE.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: most efficient way to change photoshop layer names for AE
by on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:09:02 pm

Yup, Joe's got it right: give them logical names while still in Photoshop. Almost EVERY Photoshop artist I've encountered just blows this off... except for the ones who also work in AE, that is. AE folks recognize the value of individual, logical layer names while Photoshop folks just move to the next task.

Meanwhile, there's a temporary solution while you give your Photoshop artist a good, solid dope slap: just click at the top of the layer name pane, highlight a layer, hit the return key and give it a name of your own.

You won't be renaming the layer in the photoshop document for posterity, just in your AE project. But you can at least make heads & tails out of the layers you currently have.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

ben wolfinsohnRe: most efficient way to change photoshop layer names for AE
by on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:22:15 pm

totally understand this. but sometimes 10 or 20 layers out of the 100 need to be changed after. and in that rare case is there no way to do it without manually re linking each layer that got changed?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: most efficient way to change photoshop layer names for AE
by on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:40:12 pm

Sorry, but no. It needs to be done in Photoshop.

Now, there may be a layer renaming script for Photoshop, but I don't know about it. Besides, such a script wouldn't help you much: you're already using the layers in AE.

I fear you must re-link the layers in question or bear with the duplicate layer names. Neither is not much fun, especially if you're deep into an AE project.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: most efficient way to change photoshop layer names for AE
by on Nov 1, 2012 at 6:23:35 pm

You can change the names of the imported footage items in After Effects. Just select the layer you want to rename in the project panel, press return and enter a new name. This should update the source name throughout your project.

The layer names will stay the same in any imported comps but you can delete those layer names out in order to revert to the new source names, or click the "Layer Name" column in the comp to switch to "Source Name."

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]