ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

VFX Split Screen VFX

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale PaquetteVFX Split Screen VFX
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 11:56:41 am

I saw a TV commercial that I can no longer find (or ID) in which an actor was walking in a park when, 3-4 seconds into the footage, he "split" into two instances of himself and each walked off in a different direction simultaneously. Can anyone help me figure out how such a VFX might have been done? I'm thinking some kind of split screen with roto work, but I can't quite figure it. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: VFX Split Screen VFX
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 12:43:52 pm

It can be achieved with roto.

I don't know about the video, but at the time when you want to make you actor split into two, You can use some Effect like turbulence displacement, etc so that the split procedure look good.

We can also shoot the actor with chroma so roto that we can skip roto step.

If the two moves exactly the same way that means you just have to duplicate the actor footage and Flip it Horizontally.

If the two moves in different way then we have to shoot two times with the movements we want.

I have n't seen the video so I can't what effect to use while splitting the actor but something which will distract the mind from the minor adjustments of the two footage will work.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: VFX Split Screen VFX
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 2:01:04 pm

One of the common techniques for this kind of effect, if no motion controlled rig is available, is to shoot a static shot at 4k with the actor walking twice in the shot- starting in the same point and then follow each direction one time. Camera travel/move and shake can be then added in post.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Chris HeuerRe: VFX Split Screen VFX
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 2:28:39 pm

Another down and dirty trick I like for lining up 2 different takes (right at the split point in your scene) is to have a field monitor so you can play back your first take. Pause it right when you want the split to occur and use a dry erase marker to trace the actor's outline on the screen (you may want a clear plastic screen protector over your screen depending on the surface).

Line the actor up with the outline you traced and roll subsequent takes. This should give you a very close match for your split point. You can use warping tools to get the exact match.

Chris Heuer
Freefall FX, LLC

Return to posts index

Dale PaquetteRe: VFX Split Screen VFX
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 3:18:15 pm

Thanks. Your ideas have lead to a concept I will experiment with once the results of Hurricane Sandy are cleared out of here. The actor will walk along a path and at a specific spot, change to heading to a different destination. A second shot will be of the actor starting in his best estimate of his pose at that spot then walking off oppositely. The second shot will include a green screen behind the actor.

In post, the two plates will be set up with the second shot on top. With its opacity reduced, the two layers will be synchronized in time as closely as possible in terms of position.

Then, the green screen layer will be keyed to yield a decent alpha channel. Layer one will also get the puppet tool applied and animated to distort the second shot to a very close fit to the first shot. The distortion should not be so bad as for the actor to appear distorted and the animation need only be a handful of frames to smoothly remove the distortion. The bottom layer will fill in where the green screen was. Several shots may be needed to get one good one and a field monitor would be very useful.

This would work in reverse as well to bring them back together into one later.

If need be, maybe a dog running past at the critical moment barking as it went would be just enough to draw attention and allow the illusion to unfold unnoticed.

I hope to shoot this one soon and will post.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved