ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Filling up a container with particles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sasha VarsovaFilling up a container with particles
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 5:43:23 am

Hello,

I have to create a 2D simulation of basic spheres filling up a simple bag container
So far I've used trapcode particular to simulate the sphere particles falling down and a simple masked layer that rises up to simulate the filling up of the bag. On top of this masked layer I've created another particular effect with no gravity that only pops particles on top this rising layer r to simulate a kind of bouncing. Here is the animation to see http://reels.creativecow.net/film/container-filling-up
Unfortunately it doesn't look too realistic. Do you have any suggestions how to achieve a more realistic look? I guess the problem is it isn't really piling up, it's just rising up.

Sasha

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Filling up a container with particles
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 2:32:18 pm

You can't really get the particles to accumulate in that sense, but you can fake it in some cases. Create a floor at a -45 degree angle. Then just move the emitter in z-space and as the particles hit the floor, it will look like they are stacking on top of each other. Check out this real simple example project I created: 4891_particularaccumulationcs5.5.aep.zip

Otherwise you would need a real physics system like that provided by Newton or Cinema4D

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Sasha VarsovaRe: Filling up a container with particles
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 3:15:19 pm

Hi John,

thank you for the example. It does actually help a lot! cause it's simulating the filling up without the need to use a mask layer.
A friend came up with a way of simulating an "accumulation" . He used the Floor layer and Wall layer to form a cone which rises up, so once the flow of particles hits the cone, it slides on its sides. Well obviously it divides the flow of particles into three separate flows. It would be interesting though to combine it somehow with your technique.
Here's the example 4892_bouncetest1.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Gabriel BurningRe: Filling up a container with particles
by on Dec 13, 2012 at 4:02:59 am

Hi! I've encountered the same issue but can't quite understand what you mean from your explanation.
Could you perhaps save that project file as a regular CS5 one? I do not own CS5.5

Return to posts index

by on Dec 13, 2012 at 10:57:46 am

Hi. Forget about what I wrote in the last post, that did not work. I tricked the effect of filling by animating the yscale of a solid layer - which rises from 0 to 100 thus simulating the "filling" up. And I used the particle effect for the falling spheres which bounce a little off this solid layer to simulate that the spheres bounce off each other. I saved the final effect in cs5 and attach it, hopefully that will help you. Oh and if it helps I attach also the "cone" effect that I've talked about in my last post. Good luck.
5075_fillingupcs5.aep.zip
5076_bouncetest1copycs5.aep.zip

Return to posts index

by on Dec 13, 2012 at 10:26:33 pm

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply. I checked your files but unfortunately they did not do quite what I'm after since I need to set my particles to use sprites of different kinds. So a color solid that covers the part that is "filled up" doesn't work for me. I need it to look like the sprites are stacked on eachother.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 14, 2012 at 7:10:51 am

Hey, yes I totally understand. Then the way for you to go is the inclined stick layer to which John Cuevas pointed me in his answer to my first question on this topic. Did you check the example he attached?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 15, 2012 at 2:50:01 am

Yes, I did. Unfortunately I have the CS 5 version, so I can't open those files. And I did not quite understand his explanation. Could you assist with a CS5 project file or a video perhaps?

Return to posts index

Tess TerribleRe: Filling up a container with particles
by on Sep 20, 2016 at 9:38:13 pm

I'd love to see an updated version of this project. I am trying to do something similar with little luck.

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Filling up a container with particles
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 7:23:40 pm

how about using the Newton 2 plugin? http://aescripts.com/newton/
from 00:09 I think it's what you want...

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]