ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mirror a mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Wagstaff
Mirror a mask
on Oct 30, 2012 at 10:11:55 pm

I am trying to create the effect of a doorway opening in the sky what i need to do is have two masks the same but on opposite sides on the comp

is it possible to make one mask then copy and rotate it so it will be the same on the otherside?

Return to posts index

Chris Warren
Re: Mirror a mask
on Oct 30, 2012 at 10:45:05 pm

double click on the mask you want to flip so you get the transform box around it, then grab one side of the box and drag until you have a mirrored version.

Hope this works!

"You are the universe experiencing itself"
ChrisW
http://www.azprovideo.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Wagstaff
on Oct 30, 2012 at 10:58:28 pm

when i drag the mask it either takes the whole mask or reszies a part of the mask

i need the same mask on the other side

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Oct 31, 2012 at 7:51:58 am

Several ways to do this, depending on how you need to composite the shot. If you need both masks at the same time, you can use Shape Layers. Instead of a mask draw and animate a Shape. Duplicate the Shape Layer and flip the x size (-100%).
Position the flipped layer.
Precomp both and use as Track Matte on your footage.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Oct 31, 2012 at 10:39:34 am

Ted has given the best way to do it.

In such cases, using white solid as matte is the best way.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 31, 2012 at 1:55:07 pm

[Andrew Wagstaff] "I am trying to create the effect of a doorway opening in the sky... is it possible to make one mask then copy and rotate it so it will be the same on the other side?"

You may be asking for two different things. If you really want to create the illusion of a door animating open in the sky, try this:
  • In a nested comp, add the sky layer and duplicate it. Make them both 3D. Change the a position of the upper layer to -0.5, and the lower layer to +0.5.
  • Create a rectangular mask in the precise dimension AND location of the closed door. Once you have it, copy this mask and paste it onto the lower layer. Set the lower layer's mask mode to Subtract. You should now see the complete sky.
  • Move the upper layer's Anchor Point on the x and y axis until it matches one of the corners where the hinge should be, then reposition the layer until the seams become invisible.
  • Animate the upper layer's y rotation to simulate the opening door.
You will now see the layer open onto a transparent background, and the door layer will appear to be a mirror image of the sky as it rotates open.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]