ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Align surface in Mocha tracks patch correctly, but scene motion excedes the bounds of the pre-comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham HutchinsAlign surface in Mocha tracks patch correctly, but scene motion excedes the bounds of the pre-comp
by on Oct 30, 2012 at 9:43:12 pm

Hello all,

I'm running into a bit of a problem using the align surface function in Mocha and applying it to a pre-comp with the element that I am using to cover a wall.

Align surface seems to be doing what it's supposed to be doing, but the pre-comp is cutting off the top and bottom of the patch I'm trying to place, as it should.

I need to figure out how to somehow grow the bounds of the pre-comp to include the upper and lower portions of my patch. I could collapse transformations of the pre-comp, but that throws off the track by applying the corner pin data to the patch. Increasing the height of the pre-comp in the composition settings sort of works, but again, it throws off the track.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

-Graham

OSX 10.7.4, Windows 7
Adobe CS6
FC Studio 3
DaVinci Resolve
Octo 2.26GB MacPro, 32 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Align surface in Mocha tracks patch correctly, but scene motion excedes the bounds of the pre-comp
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 2:23:09 am

Align Surface works fine here. Here are a few thingies you should look into -
1) Ensure that the insert layer is of the same dimensions, FPS, duration and PAR as the 'final' comp and tracking plate.
2) Ensure that the insert layer is correctly aligned to its position in AE, at the exact frame where you initiated Align Surface in mocha.
3) When pasting the tracking data into AE, ensure that your Timeline Current Indicator is identical to the start of your tracking routine in mocha.

If these checks still does not help you to rectify the issue, then you'll need to provide more details on what you want to achieve and a few screen caps -
a) the backing/tracking plate (in AE's footage panel)
b) the insert layer (in AE's footage panel)
c) mocha UI showing the Surface Area BEFORE you initiated Align to Surface
d) show the unexpected result (AE's Comp Panel)

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Graham HutchinsRe: Align surface in Mocha tracks patch correctly, but scene motion excedes the bounds of the pre-comp
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 2:51:12 pm

Hi Roland,

Thank you for your response. The advice you're giving seems to address a track that isn't working. My track is working, the patch sits in the scene just fine, but there is vertical camera movement that goes beyond the boundary of the pre-comp that the patch lives in. The patch goes from the top to the bottom of the frame on frame one.

Here's a pic of what I'm referring to:

I could just use a comp sized solid to achieve what I'm going for, but I'd like to add noise and shading to the patch and otherwise do all the things I need to do make the patch sit in the scene and all of that will be distorted and otherwise lost when the comp sized layer is corner-pinned.

Point-by-point for your suggestions:

1) Ensure that the insert layer is of the same dimensions, FPS, duration and PAR as the 'final' comp and tracking plate.

It is.

2) Ensure that the insert layer is correctly aligned to its position in AE, at the exact frame where you initiated Align Surface in mocha.

It is.

3) When pasting the tracking data into AE, ensure that your Timeline Current Indicator is identical to the start of your tracking routine in mocha.

I have.

Thanks for your time.

-Graham

OSX 10.7.4, Windows 7
Adobe CS6
FC Studio 3
DaVinci Resolve

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Align surface in Mocha tracks patch correctly, but scene motion excedes the bounds of the pre-comp
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 6:04:11 pm

Hi Graham, the pics and your reply have provided valuable info, albeit, there are gaps to what we need. Hopefully, I can assist you without requiring further screencaps.

My thoughts are that your issue is related to one or both of the following -
1) your insert image isn't the same size as the comp
2) your insert image wasn't created at the frame where it appears in its maximum dimension, within the shot.

For (2), the insert image should the be the last frame in your shot. Crucially, this is also the frame where you initiate Align to Surface in mocha.

For (1), I'm basing my judgment based on your reply;
[Graham Hutchins] "I could just use a comp sized solid to achieve what I'm going for, but I'd like to add noise and shading to the patch and otherwise do all the things I need to do ... ." Your insert layer, or patch, should include the required pixels as well as 'empty' pixels as defined by an Alpha Channel. Together, they should form an image with the exact same dimensions as the backing plate and of course the 'final' comp.

Hopefully, these bits of info will be beneficial to solving your issue.

One other option, if all of the above isn't working for you is to duplicate the nested comp which has mocha's tracking data applied. Then apply Effect>Distort>Transform and move this effect above the Corner Pin effect. Then nudge either the Anchor Point or Position value so that it sits above its original copy - some overlap would be advantageous should you require feathering of the top/bottom edges to
look seamless. FWIW, AE CS6's new Mask Feather Tool will be ideal to selectively feather the required edge(s).

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Graham HutchinsRe: Align surface in Mocha tracks patch correctly, but scene motion excedes the bounds of the pre-comp
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 7:56:16 pm

Hi Roland,

To your points:

1) your insert image isn't the same size as the comp

My insert image is a solid that is vertically larger than the comp with a mask applied to fit the space, the wall next to the entryway. This solid is within a composition with the corner pin/tracking data applied, hence the need for using an aligned surface. You are correct, this patch isn't comp sized, but it is larger vertically than both the master comp and the pre-comp it is contained within. The reason for doing it this way is it will facilitate recreating the shadows on the wall, as well as addressing the fact that the trim on the door and the corner where two walls meet on the right are not perfectly straight.

2) your insert image wasn't created at the frame where it appears in its maximum dimension, within the shot.

The thing about this is, if there was camera movement in z space, you would be correct, but the move is a nodal pan and tilt. The insert image was created using several points in the timeline, which has the effect of creating a patch the is larger vertically than the pre-comp in which it's nested and the pre-comp is cutting off the tops and bottoms.

The fix for this, conceptually, would be to extend the boundary of the pre-comp while still using the same corners and corner pin data that's been applied so that the top and bottom of the insert image wouldn't be cut off.

Something that would look like this:

I may be asking for something that's not possible, at least not the way I'm doing it, but I can't imagine that I'm the first person who needed to create an insert image that covers scene geometry that dips in and out of frame, either vertically or horizontally.

Your suggestion of using a transform kind of works, although it's not as clean looking as it could be.

Thanks again for sticking with me on this.

-Graham

OSX 10.7.4, Windows 7
Adobe CS6
FC Studio 3
DaVinci Resolve

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: Align surface in Mocha tracks patch correctly, but scene motion excedes the bounds of the pre-comp
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:48:49 pm

The AE corner pin can have limitations due to the nature of the source pins being locked to comp size.

A good solution to try is Red Giant Warp plug--in which allows you to import mocha corner pin data and adjust the source pins separately. This should allow you to mix comp and insert sizes.

You could also look into using mochaImport script which is a different process (stabilize, comp, then invert stabilize). This may allow you to stabilize the comp, put it into a larger, stabilized precomp for your larger than frame insert, etc.

Lastly - mocha Pro does have an insert module that allows you to use a larger than frame insert.

I think RG Warp may be your best bet.

Good luck,
Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

by on Oct 31, 2012 at 10:34:52 pm

Another option, other than the ones Ross has provided, for working with an over-sized precomp, is to use CC Power Pin.

After applying mocha's 4-point tracking, you'll need to create Expression Links to connect CC Power Pin's parameters to the ones in Corner Pin since you can't paste mocha directly onto CC Power Pin.

Switch on Collapse Transformation for the nested comp and then nudge it into place using either its position or anchor point.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]