ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

New member with camera tracker problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandre MihanovichNew member with camera tracker problem
by on Oct 28, 2012 at 12:00:58 am

Hello, fellers. I just joined Creative Cow. After years admiring you expert guys here, I finally got the courage to join.
I'm trying to use Camera Tracker 1.0 plugin (The Foundry) in After Effects CS5.5 and, as close as I follow the Foundry tutorial, after tracking features and solving camera, while they get 1.5 errors (total RMS reprojection error) with their tracks, I get 5.3 or higher. Even got 23px error once! Maybe some issue with my footage (AVCHD 1080 60i - Sony Cybershot camera)? It's not the best camera to make movies, but I just wanted to try Camera Tracker to insert 3D objects (with Cinema 4D), and it's better than my cell phone camera!

First I imported the .MTS file directly into After Effects. Suspecting the MTS file (maybe I have to convert the file) I imported the MTS into Premiere and exported using either photo-jpg or Apple intermediate to a 720p format. Used that movie to track and....nothing. I did it again just now and got 4.4 error. When I try to "refine" the tracks, following the tutorials to a tee, my error, contrary to theirs, increases!! It's driving me mad.

I'm doing this (CGI) for only 2 years now, thus I'm still bumping my head all over the place, so forgive me if I'm too much of a baby here. Feel free to send me away to some video-3D-CGI kindergarten!
Thank you.
PS - Excuse any errors in my English - I'm Brazilian.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: New member with camera tracker problem
by on Oct 29, 2012 at 11:23:53 pm

Without looking at the footage, it's impossible to tell you what the issue is and how to rectify it. I suggest you try using AE CS6's 3D Camera Tracker if you haven't. I've had The Foundry's Camera Tracker for a while and my first tracker of choice is the one that comes with AE CS6.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Alexandre MihanovichRe: New member with camera tracker problem
by on Oct 30, 2012 at 2:07:05 am

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try CS6 then (I'm still on CS5.5). I could get a good track doing it again from scratch and cleaning up the bad tracks one by one. I could get it down to 1.23, and that was enough. Let's see how CS6' tracker works. I'm just starting with this thing - lots to learn.
Thanks for the reply.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved