ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Timeline playhead moves when browsing a clip

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frederic LumiereTimeline playhead moves when browsing a clip
by on Oct 27, 2012 at 3:47:58 pm

How do you turn off the playhead gang when I browse a clip in the viewer?

Basically, I try to get a second select from a clip and the playhaed moves wherever I go in the viewer. I would like to turn that off.

Also, if anyone has best practices for editing in AE (Open a clip, IN/OUT, drop in timeline) it is very welcomed.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Timeline playhead moves when browsing a clip
by on Oct 27, 2012 at 7:50:25 pm

Frederic

I am not able to find any setting for it.
But by default its not ON.

May be Deleting your preference file will help.

Hold Cntl/Cmnd + Optoin/Alt + Shift while AE starts and you will get a dialogue box to delete pref file.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Timeline playhead moves when browsing a clip
by on Oct 29, 2012 at 1:29:30 am

[Frederic Lumiere] "Basically, I try to get a second select from a clip and the playhaed moves wherever I go in the viewer. I would like to turn that off."

Uncheck Preferences > General > Synchronize Time of All Related Items. (Note that unchecking this will make working with nested comps very challenging...)

[Frederic Lumiere] "Also, if anyone has best practices for editing in AE (Open a clip, IN/OUT, drop in timeline) it is very welcomed."

Best practice is not to edit in Ae -- it's not an NLE, it doesn't have all the same tools that NLEs do, and most importantly, it is simply not built for real-time anything.

The best practice here would be to edit elsewhere, then import the edit into Ae (for example, dynamic linking a Premiere sequence into Ae, or importing XML from FCP7).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Frederic LumiereRe: Timeline playhead moves when browsing a clip
by on Oct 29, 2012 at 1:37:43 am

Thanks for the Sync option in the preferences... I had finally figured it out! Makes things a lot easier.

Completely understand the 'edit in NLE' suggestion and I completely agree with you... except in this case. I'm putting together an 18 min film with 9 screens in 360 degrees. I tried everything and have done pre-work in fcp and premiere but nothing beats AE to lay the film out properly.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2012 at 2:16:25 am

[Frederic Lumiere] "Completely understand the 'edit in NLE' suggestion and I completely agree with you... except in this case. I'm putting together an 18 min film with 9 screens in 360 degrees. I tried everything and have done pre-work in fcp and premiere but nothing beats AE to lay the film out properly. Thanks again!"

Understood. There's really no good tool for this! I've previously roughed in the cuts for projects like these in FCP and finished in Ae. Next time up, I do intend to try to start in Premiere since it supports large arbitrary raster sizes, but I'm sure I'll end up finishing in Ae again...

Good luck with your project, Frederic.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Frederic LumiereRe: Timeline playhead moves when browsing a clip
by on Oct 29, 2012 at 3:29:50 am

Hey Walter,

Any reason you might know of why overlay edit won't work? I click on it and no edit is made. Working on 3 hours of sleep for the last 3 days so it's probably something simple I'm overlooking...

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2012 at 4:27:42 am

[Frederic Lumiere] "Any reason you might know of why overlay edit won't work? I click on it and no edit is made. Working on 3 hours of sleep for the last 3 days so it's probably something simple I'm overlooking..."

Underneath the Overlay Edit button, it shows the name of the comp it will edit into. Is it showing the correct one? Perhaps you are inadvertently editing into the wrong comp?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]