ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

FreeForm AE: 3D Mesh Controls?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max JacksonFreeForm AE: 3D Mesh Controls?
by on Oct 27, 2012 at 12:30:16 am

Hi CC,

I'm pretty brand-new to FreeForm AE. It's a cool tool for sure. I've been wrestling with it all night and and all afternoon. I've begun to understand the general logic behind edge control (at least for 4-sided objects) and somewhat control lighting.

The one thing I can't seem to get a handle on is the 3D mesh controls. I can't seem to get the square default mesh to position/rotation to the 4-sided plane that has a rather acute angle of perspective. I'm going back-and-forth trying to get it to fit the mold, but then feel compelled to use the mesh and then it looks all distorted once again.

I even tried acquiring the angle using just AE's Transform controls to get the data transfer and and I still need to skew the square. It's seems not easily possible without some kind of uniform perspective change.

Is there a good rule of thumb on how to go from the default mesh square and fit it to a acutely angled 4-sided plane with perspective? Cuz I feel my practice isn't getting very far or like I'm missing something.

Thanks for reading. :)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: FreeForm AE: 3D Mesh Controls?
by on Oct 27, 2012 at 8:36:56 pm

Post a still of what you're trying to achieve.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved