ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stroke effect/write on

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Waldron
Stroke effect/write on
on Oct 26, 2012 at 12:16:33 pm

Greetings! I am in the early stages of setting up a workflow for what could be a large amount of whiteboard style videos.

I have been able to create a lot of vector path images using illustrator which I have then pulled into AE masks.

I can use stroke to then animate these lines 'drawing on' which is great - but for the final stage I want to add a hand and pen following the path.

This is where I'm stumped.

The stroke effect uses the progress of the lines as a percentage so there is no anchor point to parent the pen tip to. I can manually trace the path using write on, motion trace or similar but I could potentially have dozens of videos in a series each holding a large amount of images. So I was sure I'd be able to find a more efficient way but so far no luck.

Any ideas from the collective genius of the cow?

I found a program called VideoScribe that seems to do what I want but found the program quite limited in terms of quality and other options and so wanted to keep things under the after effects roof if possible.

Thansk folks.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: Stroke effect/write on
on Oct 26, 2012 at 5:53:26 pm

Steve

COpy the Mask Path and Paste is into the Position Attribute of your Pen/Hand Image.

Here is a tutorial which may help:

http://allbetsareoff.com/tutorials/animating-a-signature-part-2/

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Steve Waldron
on Oct 29, 2012 at 10:35:56 am

This is great, thanks both, although a slight problem that still needs ironing out. It could be an AE question - but also could be illustrator...

I'm bringing in not just one, but many paths, all of them are vector paths copied out of illustrator, when I paste them in it creates about 25 paths - I guess what I need to do is collate these into just one path so the solution you've suggested works.

I'm not hugely experienced within illustrator but cant seem to find a meathod of taking several paths and merging them into one - I shall continue my hunt.

Once I get the 25 paths down to just one, it should work a treat, I'm just seeing if anyone knows way to do this either within AE or IL?

thanks again.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 29, 2012 at 3:59:25 pm

Without actually seeing the paths, it would be difficult to judge. You could encounter unnatural speed of writing with a single path, and it might also might be difficult to pull of a single-path strategy if the paths frequently cross, intersect or cover one another.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Waldron
on Oct 29, 2012 at 4:02:57 pm

yeah, I've joined the paths in illustrator and experienced some issues with the joinings like you mentioned. It's fixable, but not terribly viable on a long term basis as I'd spend a ton of time in illustrator for each image.

Thanks anyway for the help and advise guys, I'll keep working on it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 26, 2012 at 7:37:03 pm

...and if you want to be able to modify the speed of the writing, Pick-whip the the pen's position property to the Pen position property of the Write-On effect.

Make sure the pen tip is at the layer's anchor point.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]