ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Freeform AE...How do you know how big to make the comp?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Jackson
Freeform AE...How do you know how big to make the comp?
on Oct 26, 2012 at 5:21:32 am

I have this great basic setup that Chris from Mettle helped me with. The one thing I can't understand is how big one knows to make the comp of the plane surface they select in an image to flatten and displacement map out the thing they're warping.

I'm trying to measure out how big a mirror is juxtaposed in a room and I'm not getting far without actual measurements.

Is it totally arbitrary or is there some rule of thumb or thirds or something to how big the flattened out comp should be?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Freeform AE...How do you know how big to make the comp?
on Oct 26, 2012 at 8:43:45 am

Not sure I understand correctly your issue, but FreeForm creates a 3d object and you have to thing about the image and displacement layers as "texture" and "modeling" layers. So the more detail you want in the texture or in the displacement / modeling, the larger the image should be. Texture and displacement map layers should be the same size though.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Max Jackson
Re: Freeform AE...How do you know how big to make the comp?
on Oct 26, 2012 at 7:47:17 pm

Hi Ted,

I think my understanding of the way Freeform recognizes comp information was a bit askew. I was thinking somehow that there was a relationship between the masked item in the comp and the effect. Not true.

Freeform is indifferent to what data is in the comp. It only warps the comp itself so the only basic thing of importance (that I've found thus far) is to make sure the center of your item to warp with the region of interest otherwise the warp will be off target as it's wrap is specifically determined by the comps dimensions, nothing more.

Thanks for the reply though. You're absolutely right! The texture should match as well or you make more work for yourself straightening out the warp...yeah, straightening out the warp. That does make sense just not sure how.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]