ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Newbie Mocha Question.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven HappelNewbie Mocha Question.
by on Oct 26, 2012 at 2:55:32 am

Hey all, I'm trying to edit shaky timelapse footage (Tiff sequence) in after effects as a 1920x1080 comp which makes the PAR 16x9 (1.78). I have to scale the image down considerably to fit the comp size. My issue comes when I try to go to Mocha for stabilization. The New Project window gets the number of frames and frame rate correct, but the PAR seems off. The default is 35mm VistaVision, and there doesn't seem to be any option for 16x9 (1.78).

Another newbie question: Should I stabilize in Mocha before or after I put in some pans and zooms? I'm not really sure on the workflow at all for Mocha.

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Newbie Mocha Question.
by on Oct 26, 2012 at 4:28:50 am

Why not just use the Warp Stabilizer? It has a much less learning curve then Mocha.

If you decide to use Mocha, you must make sure its interpreting your footage correctly when you import it into the project (ie Progressive or Interlaced / aspect ratio / frame rate) because sometimes it needs help.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Steven HappelRe: Newbie Mocha Question.
by on Oct 26, 2012 at 8:14:43 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I had tried Warp Stabilizer before, but wasn't totally satisfied with the result. Again, this is probably due to the fact I'm completely new to these tools. Thanks again for your help!

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Newbie Mocha Question.
by on Oct 26, 2012 at 9:32:57 am

The pixel aspect ratio has nothing to do with your comps aspect ratio. If you have 1920x1080 square pixel footage then your pixel aspect ratio in Mocha should be 1.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Newbie Mocha Question.
by on Oct 27, 2012 at 12:08:19 am

I'm with Tero on this - you seem to be confused between pixel aspect ratios and screen aspect ratios. 16:9 (1.78) are ascribed to screen aspect ratios.

It sounds like you've got a super high resolution TIFF sequence. What are its specific dimensions?

[Steven Happel] "Should I stabilize in Mocha before or after I put in some pans and zooms? I'm not really sure on the workflow at all for Mocha."

Generally, stabilizing should be the last part of your workflow. However, it'll be helpful if we could take a look at your sequence.

As for getting up to speed with mocha, there are tonnes of excellent mocha tutorials at the Imagineer Systems Website - look under the "Videos" page menu.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]