ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

specific keyframing question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean jeanspecific keyframing question
by on Oct 24, 2012 at 1:20:20 pm

Hi there,

I've just taken on a job as an editor at a company, however they keep asking me to do motion graphics work, which I'm not great at.

My first project is to make a globe (by adding CC Sphere to a world map)and rotating it. I can do that, but the tricky part is I need to highlight specific countries whilst it rotates to match the educational voice over.

Is this just a matter of keyframing? I've tried cutting out each country in photoshop, bringing it back in and then adding CC SPhere but it always distorts the image and has trouble following the spinning globe.

I'm really just looking for advice but I'm sure I'll be stuck like I am now again!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: specific keyframing question
by on Oct 24, 2012 at 2:12:09 pm

The hard part will be the timing, so the first thing you should do is go to the Menu Bar > Edit > Preference > General and check "Synchronize Time of All Related Items".

You should have a final comp with CC Sphere applied to a precomp with your map. For best results I find that a map with a a resolution of 2000x1000 works pretty(2x1). Now rotate your sphere in the main comp and when you get to a country you want to highlight, double click the precomp and use whatever method you need to highlight the country. Now it's highlighted on your globe.

I made a simple project to illustrate the technique, post back if you have any questions:

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

sean jeanRe: specific keyframing question
by on Oct 24, 2012 at 2:22:07 pm

Thank you so much. This has helped me enormously!! Love the end quote!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved