ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE camera tracker issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert HoggAE camera tracker issue
by on Oct 23, 2012 at 3:09:19 pm

Hi there,

I'm working on some shots that need some 3d camera solves. However some shots just won't solve correctly.

The after effects in built camera tracker reads the tracking points in the background as foreground objects and the trackers in the foreground as background objects. this really messes up the solve and i can't see a way to fix it. i've posted an example of the problem below.

Tracking bad

as you can see the tracking markers in the background are bigger than in the foreground. it's possible that the solver is getting confused because the trackers in the background are moving more than those in the foreground. however other shots i have are very similar to this and the camera tracker solves these no problem. i've linked an example of this below.

track good

both the settings on these shots are exactly the same using the "typical" as the solve method in the 3d tracker and they are both quicktime 422 hq codecs.

is there an obvious step that i'm missing? or is their a way to reverse the point cloud data?

thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: AE camera tracker issue
by on Oct 24, 2012 at 1:29:55 am

For the 'bad track' video, try masking out part of the chair, from her elbow up to the front of the screen. A basic, sort garbage matte will do. Movement that is close to the camera usually confuses matchmove algorithms. Of course, do the masking in a precomp.

If it were me, I would accentuate a more obvious camera move along the z-axis either at the start or end of the camera move. Matchmove algorithms thrive when there is more obvious parallax in the tracked areas.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved